04 | his new found son

Start from the beginning

+++

"Do you remember what your captors looked like?"

Yes. One had dirty blonde hair and the other a chestnut brown.

"No. They wore masks." I answered in a monotone voice.

"Did they mention any names or nicknames of any sort?"

Finn and Luca.

"No."

"What did they do?"

Kidnapped me, often deprived me of basic food and forced me to do labour. They often tied me up and gagged me too.

"They just locked me in a room."

"How did you escape?"

They- they- Never mind.

"I don't know, I was knocked out and woke up to a new and unfamiliar town."

"Alright then." Matthew said upset that I didn't tell them any valuable information. My mother put her face in her hands.

"I am so sorry you had to go through all that, Vanessa." My mum said, looking at me with sad eyes. "If you give me a minute I can tell you everything, so you understand the situation better."

I nodded while Matthew got up to leave the room.

"I think I should leave you guys to it. I'll just been in the other room, ok-" I tugged on the sleeve of his uniform.

"Can you please stay?" He looked at me in surprise as did my mother but nodded anyway, respecting my wishes and sat back down.

"As I told you before your," she glanced at me not wanting to upset me.

"Blackout. It's fine to say it." I said.

She nodded and continued. "I had just found out I was pregnant with Dylan." My mum glanced over at Dylan by instinct to make sure he was alright.

"Normally I would've been filled with joy, however your father had recently met up with an old friend." She said the word 'friend' with hostility.

"Your father and his friend had history. His friend also had a son a several months before we had you. The father of her son was annoyed with her and didn't want anything to do with the baby."

My mum continued after shaking and taking a glass of water and a small sip. She then placed it back on to the coffee table.

"So he demanded a DNA test knowing that he wasn't the only man she had been with. They tested the baby and it turns out his father wasn't his father. There was then a desperate search for the real father. Your father was brought in and his DNA matched." I saw tears in the back of her eyes and my mum's desperation for them not to fall down her face.

"It's understandable. We were going through a rough patch when his friend's child was conceived and it was you that brought us back together again." She said looking at me with a sad smile.

"With you just kidnapped, your father explained that he couldn't stay with me because of the memories. And he chose to focus his life on his new found son. He and his friend later got back together around the time I found I was pregnant with Dylan."