Chapter 20 - War (part 2)

Start from the beginning

The Drakes were advancing. Her fingers wrapped around the little white stone In her pocket. The stone Tria had given her. The stone that bound the Demons of her father.

Panicked, she attempted something she had never done before. Something completely unheard of in Demon lore. She tried to summon an Angel.

She closed her eyes, and spoke the words she had never been taught. Calling for the light. The shadows manifested once again, and the image of her father formed. She had never felt so weak, even keeping her eyes open was difficult after spending such energy.

"Dad?" She whispered. He was just how she remembered. His tall and powerful body lashed out, and ripped the life from the surrounding Drakes. Her joy was soon turned to horror as her father attacked. She wanted them to die, just not like this. Their entrails were scattered around the street, their dark blood filled the gutters.

Lucas stood in the centre of the carnage, his black eyes turned on her. Something was wrong. Something was terribly wrong. He charged at her, and she collapsed to the ground. She felt her soul being torn from her body.

Then she felt nothing.

***

Eric and Kharn reappeared within the city. Battered and broken. They ran through the streets, clinging to dark alleys and side streets. They could no longer hear the sounds of fighting.

"The forward operating base must be around here somewhere." Eric said.

"Help me." They heard someone call. "Someone help me please"
Kharn and Eric ran to the source of the noise, to find a small boy half buried underneath. His arm was broken, and tears were dried on his cheeks. Half the building had fallen on top of him, and it was burning.

"Hold on, we will get you out." Eric called out.

"It hurts!" The boy cried.

Eric was exhausted. He tried to draw on his magic, but there was nothing left. He was ready to collapse.

"Eric, put out the fires." Kharn demanded.

"I... I'm trying." He stammered.

He reached out and tried to bend the energy, but he couldn't do it. His mind was going foggy, his limbs felt like lead.
The boy started to cough as smoke filled his lungs. Kharn rushed over and tried to clear the rubble.

Eric saw him burn his hands as he tried, he threw his body onto the searing hot rubble, trying to get it to move.

"Dammit Eric, move the rock!" Kharn shouted.

"I can't." He whispered. "I can't."

The boy started to scream as the fires touched his skin. Eric watched, powerless to act. Kharn tried to pull onto the boys arm, but he screamed louder.

A woman came running from behind a building, her face burned heavily.

"Josh!" She screamed. "Help me! That's my son!"
The boy cried for his mother, his body fully in the fire now. It made him feel sick, watching and powerless. He closed his eyes, they were so heavy.

***

He woke in a strangers bed, with Kharn eating some dry bread on a chair by the window.

They said nothing as he got changed, the haunting images from the night before still fresh on his mind.

"Did the boy-"

"Dead." Kharn whispered. "He died."

"How long was I out?" He asked.