Chapter 12 - Talya

Talya wrinkled her nose at the smell of the rotting food on display. Small pieces of stringy red meat hung drying on the racks. It smelled sickening, and was riddled with flies. She could not begin to imagine what animal the steaks had belonged to, yet people with skinny bodies and skinny wallets queued up to make purchases.

She looked into the eyes of the people around her. They were all grey and bleak. Sad and hopeless, waiting for something to shed light onto their dark lives. Their skin was as dirty as their clothes. And here she was, walking through the markets, well fed and well looked after. She felt terrible.

A woman across the street began shouting at a stall keeper who was selling fruits and vegetables. He raised his knife at her threateningly, and the woman took a step back. Everyone around seemed to be oblivious to the commotion, as they continued about their business ignoring the angry woman.

Talya began to push through the crowd, maybe she could help. Before she got there, a city guardian came out from nowhere and pulled the woman away by the hair. Her aggressive yelling turned into panic stricken screaming as she thrashed about wildly. The guardian drew his sword, and hit her over the head with its pommel. He dragged her into a side alley, where a Haast lay waiting.

Everywhere she looked, she saw demons. She could see them brewing in the faces around her. She could see them plaguing the minds of the people and clouding their judgement. She sent a silent prayer to Cyrus, the god of life and creation, to rid them of this famine.

The markets used to be a source of enjoyment. There was nothing quite like walking down a crowded street with people haggling and arguing all around. Now it was morbid and depressing.

I wish I knew how to help you people.

She approached a stall that was selling homemade trinkets. An old lady sat behind the stall. Her wrinkled face broke into a smile as Talya picked up one she liked. It was a necklace. A simple black bird frozen in flight, with the string within its beak.

"Did you make these?" She asked as she pulled out her purse from her bag. Her hand brushed the little white stone that bound her father's demons, and she flinched at the touch.

"I did." The lady replied. "I used to own an entire shop full of trinkets and goods. I would spend hours on them to make them perfect. Each one unique."
She sighed loudly.  "Now it's all ash."

"How much for this one?" Talya asked.

"What ever you feel it's worth." The woman replied.

Talya reached over and gave the woman ten silvers, which she gladly accepted.

Talya then stepped out into the street. Two children ran through the crowd, giggling and laughing. As the girl ran past, She felt a hand wrap around her purse. The little girl ran away laughing. Talya began to chase. She passed through people, and almost pushed an old man over. The little girl was still laughing. Her voice was slowly moving away, and becoming drowned out in the chorus of the large crowd that was forming.

People were standing side by side, focusing their attention on a man's voice coming from the fountain in the middle of the square. She decided to let the girl go, and tried listen to what the man was saying. She gave a startled squeak as she realized the man addressing the crowd was her grandfather, the King. He was standing on a wooden stage at the foot of the stone water fountain. Beside him was a man with his hands tied and a bag over his head, and another man carrying a heavy looking sword. She felt dread knowing what was about to happen.

"This city has been plagued by famine and war." The King was saying. "Like disease on rodents, it has crept uninvited into each and every one of your homes, infecting your families with sickness and starvation. How did our once great city, blooming with culture and life transition into such a state of infectious hopelessness? Why are our sons and daughters being murdered in our own lands without any justice being served?"

"I'll tell you why." The King said as he kicked the bound man forward. He ripped of the bag, and Talya could see his face clearly. It was the Duke.

"This is Duke Edward from the great house Trela. To those of you who don't know, the Duke has been in charge of running the city as of late." The King looked directly into the crowd. He raised an accusing finger towards the Duke, and spat venomous words.

"He is responsible for running this city into the dirt. This man is responsible for destroying the Kingdom!"

The crowd was growing angry. Talya feared for Edward's life.

"I promise you, each and every one of you, that I will make this Kingdom strong again."

The crowd cheered for the King. he seemed to enjoy it. He closed his eyes and let the waves of sound wash over him.

"I will start by fixing the injustice that is your suffering!" He screamed, laughing manically. "I will start by removing the head of house Trela."

The King retrieved the heavy sword and lifted it high above his head.
"God's be my witness." He screamed. "I offer this man to you now, as a sacrifice of blood. Take him to you now, so that we will endure this suffering. Take him to you now, so that we will prevail."

There was a final roar of approval from the crowd before the blade came rushing down. Edward's eyes found hers, and in them, she could read his soul. In the final moments before death, his eyes betrayed his character, and it was beautiful.

I'm sorry.

Then, with a sickening sound, the Duke's head was severed from his shoulders. The King held it high within his hands, and let the blood drip down onto his face. The crowd cheered loudly, and bordered maniacal madness as Edward's head was thrown into the air.

"People of Pa!" The King cried. "Do not despair to the darkness. Do not give in to fear. Remain brave, remain strong. We will survive this!"
"Let there be justice." he shouted.

People began to throw things at the body. Rotten meat and buckets of filth. The King signalled to have the body carried away, and soon the busy square began to settle.
Talya did not move from her spot. Her eyes were still set on the spot where the blade met his flesh.
She didn't notice as the Ravens and crows circled high above, drawn to the metalic smell of fresh blood.
She didn't notice the square completely empty, or the shady characters as they walked past.

Her attention was fixed on a pale light, sitting on the stage. It was small, maybe the size of her nail. It wasn't noticeable to anyone who wasn't looking, as most people just walked past it.
It was finally in the very late hours of the cycle, when the area was clear of people and cast into shadow, that she finally moved. Slowly, she walked forwards, never taking her eyes off the light.
She reached out to touch it, her skin prickling as she got near.

As her hand made contact, a very faded image of Edward appeared, his feet hanging over the stage. He didn't appear to notice her, he sat staring blankly at the cobbles.

"Eward." She called softly. "Edward I'm here."
His eyes flickered. She glanced around, unsure of what to do.
"You must be lost." She said finally. "I can understand that."

She sat beside the pale image, and reached down to hold his hand. She was suprised to feel his soft, warm touch.

"Edward." She said. "You're not supposed to be here."
His eyes looked at hers.
"You're dead." She whispered. "You have to go."

"How can you see me?" He rasped.

She beamed at him, a tear ran down her cheek.

"You have a very strong heart." She croaked. "You're an angel, Edward, and Nala is desperate to meet you."

Edward smiled, and the image vanished. She was alone on the stage, the Duke's blood staining her dress.

"Well done Talya." Said a shadowy voice.
She quickly spun around, and came face to face with a little boy who was covered in burn scars.
"Tria is waiting." Casper whispered.