Chapter 20 - War (part 2)

Chapter 20

Talya coughed, and tried to climb free from the rubble. Her legs were caught underneath a large stone, she couldn't move. She looked around and tried to call for help. It was so dark, she couldn't see from all the dust in the air. Her voice was lost to the void. She ran her hands through her hair, they came away bloodied and red. It was so quiet. Only moments before the air was filled with the sounds of grinding rock and twisted metal, Screams and roars. The ground had shaken as the Citadel came down, the dust filled the sky. Now everything was silent.

The sound of strong wings beating the dusty air echoed from down the street, and she knew that a Dragon was coming. She tried to pull herself free, but the stone would not move. Out of panic, she called to the shadows. She felt their presence, she felt their pain. She bound a presence to a rock in her hand, and tied it to her will. The shadows manifested into the form of a wolf. Its fur was dark, but its eyes were darker. It carefully reached down and removed the stone.

She stood to her feet, thankfully nothing felt broken. The ground shook as another explosion sounded in the distance, the dust was beginning to clear.

What happened?

The city she grew up in was barely recognizable, as it lay under a pile of rubble and ash. The proud citadel had fallen, crushing much of the poor quarter.

The Dragon had landed a few meters away, and it glared at her. She dived for cover as it spewed forth its fiery death. Her wolf Demon charged forward, and swiped its claws against the Dragon's scaly hide. It roared, and her wolf howled in chorus. With a snap from its powerful jaws, the Dragon destroyed the Demon. She watched as the shadows were released.

The Dragon turned on her again. It threw back its golden head, preparing to breath its fire, when arrows struck it in the eyes. It screamed in misery as it lost its sight. A third arrow, accompanied by a blast of magic struck home in the creatures gullet. It collapsed to the ground, writhing in pain.

Two figures approached from behind a building. One was a man, his skin as grey as the ash in the sky, and his eyes darker than night. He had little horns that sprouted from his head, and despite his demonic appearance, Talya knew him to be friendly. The other was a hard looking woman.

"Ambassador!" She shouted happily as she limped towards him.

"Talya?" He asked. "Your brother will be so pleased to know you survived the citadel." He said as he hugged her. She looked into the Mercyre's eyes and felt safe.

"He's alive then?" She asked.

"I haven't seen him since the start. I don't know." Ash said. "We must hurry to the forward operating base, it's our best chance of finding the others.

"Sir, we have company!" The woman said. She was a soldier, maybe in her mid thirties with blonde hair and stunning blue eyes. Her hands lit up with purple flame, and Ash drew his bow as a ring of Drakes closed in around them.

They were surrounded, and had no route of escape.

"I am very happy to have spent my last moments among friends." Ash said quietly. "Talya if you see an opening, you have to run. Don't look back."
He fired an arrow straight into the heart of the nearest Drake before she could argue. The rest charged with claws outstretched. Ash dropped his bow and drew his sword. He took on three simultaneously, while the soldier shot small bursts of fire at any who came too close.

A Drake slashed deep with its claws, cutting right through the woman's armor. Her book splattered the stones as she went down screaming.

One approached Talya. She did not have any weapons to draw, so she retreated backwards. Her back found stone and she could move no further. Ash cried out in pain as claws wrapped around his neck. She watched in horror as his blood poured to the ground, his body collapsed.