Chapter 8

Roger's POV:

Ever since the day Y/n and I kissed, I haven't talked to her. Sometimes I catch her staring, but she only looks away. It makes me smirk everytime. It makes me wonder if she regrets it, and I'm not sure what to think of that.

As I'm sharpening my stick with Jack's knife, I notice the paint on my torso and arms slightly faded, and the sunburn in the exposed parts of my skin. But what can you do? The pain feels nice anyways.

'Do you think we should invite Ralph's group to our feast?' I hear a boy say, 'you know, to maybe join us?'

I look over and see Jack, he's clearly thinking. 'Sounds like a good idea. Chief thinks he's all that, not anymore. We can invite them tonight, at the beach.'

Jack spots me looking before I go back to sharpening the knife. He tells the kid something, who then runs off. He makes his way to me. What does he want now?

'Since I'm aware you're not gay, or at least I don't think you are, I'll assume you was kissing my sister the other night,' Jack says.

'No, I'm not gay,' I answer, not saying anything about the other part of his sentence.

'Didn't think so. But I'm right then, it was my sister,' I feel him looking at me, I don't look back.

'Might've been,' I mutter.

Jack sighs and pushes down the stick to my side and snatches the knife. 'Rog, you're my best mate. Just tell me if you like her.'

'Are we 10 years old? I'm not talking about this shit,' I say.

'Roger, it's fine if you like her. Just know that ill fucking cut you if you hurt her.'

'Do you really think I wouldn't stab you first if we were going to kill each other?' I smirk at him.

'I'll assume you do, then,' He says, 'well, good luck I suppose.'

He gets up and walks off, with his knife. I sigh, I'm not used to feeling emotions, especially for girls. Sure, Y/n is hot, but she's also ... beautiful.

Y/n POV:

Later at the night, we all make our way down to the beach where we plan to meet Ralph's group. We see them sitting there, he and piggy. Throughout the week or two we've been in two groups, all the littleuns have joined Jack's group.

----time skip----

I decide to sit down after literally everyone has become a hyper, savage mess. I feel someone sit next to me and see Ralph there.

'Why do you hate me?' He asks.

I look to him, 'I don't hate you.'

'Then why did you leave my group?'

'Because I chose my family over anyone else,' I answer, 'the reason everyone came to Jack's group is because they don't have to build shelters and follow rules constantly.'

'You've all painted your faces, only focus on hunting pigs and appear to enjoy watching animals die-'

'Ralph, you can't deny that it's better to eat meat than berries that might be poisonous,' I say, he sighs in defeat.

'It's the beast!' A boy shouts.

Roger's POV:

'He's there!'

'Lets kill it!'

'Kill the beast!'

Next minute I know, everyone in the island is changing to the figure in the distance that is yelling something. We charged, screaming and yelling like the fucking savages we are, sticks in hand prepared to kill.

We begin beating the creature, jabbing out sticks far into it's skin as it lets out loud screams and agonizing yells. Slowly, the screams begin to die out, as the creature we are killing is dying. When the beast fall to the ground and finally shuts up I realise it's a person. Despite the fact that the body is covered in blood and completely mangled up, I recognise the person; Simon.

I glance to us all, the fading paint has been replaced with bright red blood. I don't feel remorse for him. But I realise now he was yelling about the beast, how it wasn't real.

I look down to my hands, the realisation hits me; I enjoyed it.

What am I becoming?