Chapter 3

Y/n POV:

The three boys return, saying that they found animals around the island of a mountain. Percival continues to sit on my lap, I think he's asleep.

'What do we do now?' A boy asks.

'We build shelters, and make a fire,' Ralph orders. 'Jack, what do you want your choir to do?'

'They can be hunters,' He answers.

'It's getting late, we'll have to do a fire quick,' Piggy says.

I decide to stay back and watch as they act like children. I hold Percival at my side as I'm stood watching. I can't fully hear what they are saying, but I see Ralph take piggys glasses. With it, they start a fire.

----

Night falls upon us and we all sit around the fire. Percival has apparently developed an attachment to me since he won't leave me alone, he's adorable though.

'How long do you think we'll have to wait until we're saved?' A boy called Maurice asks.

'We probably won't be saved,' Roger states, drawing spirals in the sand.

'Don't think like that!' Piggy tells him. Roger doesn't even look at him. 'We need to think positively.'

'We know he's right,' Jack says.

'Faith is what will keep us going. We know the truth, but the children don't,' I say. 'It's their beliefs that we'll be saved that matter.'

I feel them staring at me.

'You're the only girl,' One boy says.

'You don't say,' I sarcastically return.

'No, I mean, it might be dangerous for you,' He says.

I glance up at him, but look back down. I was aware.

'Well, if you all keep your animal nature within, I should be fine,' I sigh.

'None of you will try anything,' Jack tells them.

They change the conversation. 'Tomorrow half of us should build shelters and the rest look for food.'

'It's a plan.'

Just before everyone else goes to sleep, Jack comes up to me whilst I'm putting Percival down, who's already asleep.

'That kid was right, Y/n,' He tells me. 'It could be dangerous for you.'

I nod and sigh.

'Just, be careful,' He states.

'Do you think anyone would try anything?'

Jack glances around, 'even if they do I won't let them.'

'Thanks,' I say, 'I'm going to bed now.'

'Stay safe.'

'I will.'