Chapter 80

Cleopatra was sitting on a chair in front of a vanity mirror, combing her blonde hair, which had been currently let down and cascaded down her back. She started from the ends and worked her way up, untangling all the knots. Because she was so short her feet didn't reach the floor, she kicked her feet back and forth.

The person who had taught her to start combing her hair from the bottom first had been her mother, a woman she could just barely remember. Even though her memories were fuzzy, she could still remember what it felt like to have her mother run a comb through her hair, still remember her mother's gentle hands. It made her desire to get revenge on Sylvia all the more potent.

A soft creaking alerted her to someone entering her room. She didn't bother turning around to see who had entered. Through the vanity mirror's reflection, she could see the door opening to admit Callisto, who shut it behind him as stepped inside.

"Has there been any news?" she asked.

"There has." Callisto sighed deeply as he walked over to her and stood by her side. "The army of mura--of Knights that we sent to eradicate Lady Sylvia and the elves has been eradicated. What's more, according to the report we received, they didn't manage to kill a single sorceress."

"We should have expected as much. There is no way an army of 30,000 automatons can stand up to four sorceresses, especially since one of them is capable of actually summoning spirits to our realm." Cleopatra sighed. "I told you it wouldn't work."

"You did," Callisto admitted. "But it's not like we have much choice. We have no other way of attacking them."

Those words caused Cleopatra to freeze as a strange sensation welled up in the back of her head. It was like a mist was spreading through her brain. Her body shuddered a little, but then the sensation vanished.

"There are ways of dealing with them," Cleopatra said at last.

"If you have an idea, then I would love to hear it," Callisto said with a respectful nod.

"There is a race of people who live in an underground city called Subtenebrae," Cleopatra began carefully, slowly enunciating each word as if she was in a trance. "They are known as the dark elves, and they hate the elves even more than we humans do. If we were to send them an invitation asking for an alliance, we would be able to increase our powerbase far more than what we have now. They should be able to deal with these sorceresses."

Callisto suddenly seemed uncertain. "I don't know... I've never heard of these dark elves before. Are you certain we can trust them?"

"Trust me," Cleopatra said as she continued combing her hair. "It was the dark elves who helped me come this far after I became a sorceress. They are the ones who helped me gain the power I have now."

Looking into her eyes through the mirror, Callisto seemed to be searching for something, though she didn't find out what that something was before he slowly nodded.

"If you believe these beings are trustworthy, then I will send them a letter asking them to forge an alliance with us."

"There is a delegation of dark elves living in Elysium right now," Cleopatra informed him. "They are actually the ones who are ruling over the kingdom in my stead while I am away. You can send your letter to the crystal palace. They will receive it."

"I had not realized you were allowing these dark elves to rule Elysium for you," Callisto said, his voice guarded.

Cleopatra sighed. "Why wouldn't I? You know better than any one that I am not fit to be a ruler. If I had to give my position to someone, then why not give it to someone who has the will and desire to rule? The dark elves are excellent at managing the kingdom. And because they are looking after Elysium for me, I am able to remain here and plan out my revenge against Sylvia."

"Yes, that is true," Callisto admitted, bowing low at the waist. "In that case, I will send a letter to these dark elves you speak of. By your leave, Lady Cleopatra."

After straightening up, Callisto took one last look at Cleopatra before he turned around and headed out the door. The door clicked shut behind him. Once again, Cleopatra was seemingly alone as she combed her hair, but then she finished, set her comb down, and looked into the room.

"This is what you wanted, right?" she asked seemingly no one in particular.

An area within the room suddenly wavered and distorted. The shadows within that corner writhed like they were alive. Then a young man appeared, his skin a pale blue and his eyes a deep crimson. He had long ears like an elf's. In fact, he resembled an elf in many ways save for the color of his skin, eyes, and shock white hair.

A leather chest plate and shoulder pauldrons clicked together as he walked forward, a smile adorning his face. His clothing was black. The armor and underclothes were so dark it was as if the light abstained from them. He came up to stand beside her and looked down.

"I believe this will do," he said in a youthful voice. "Lord Oraferrum is currently in Subtenabrae overseeing the mass migration and preparing the army. They should be ready by the time the little duke's messenger arrives in Elysium."

"The duke might suspect me now that he knows I'm keeping such a big secret," Cleopara said with a sigh. She actually liked the duke. He was respectful and more than happy to accommodate her wishes, but that was also because they were using each other. Their relationship was one based on mutual benefit. She got him to raise an army of automatons for the dark elves, and he was able to rule Arcadia for a while.

Shrugging, the dark elf said, "Does it matter? At the end of the day, the little duke is just a figurehead we'll eventually remove him once our powerbase has solidified and we no longer have any need to hide ourselves."

Cleopatra nodded. "And you will help me get my revenge, right? That was your promise."

"Of course." The man's smile widened. "We have promised to help you get revenge on Sylvia de Floresca, and that is exactly what we are going to do."

***

I don't have a whole lot to say about this chapter. It's focuses on Cleopatra back in Cassadinia. I think this might be one of those big plot reveals, but I can't be sure.

I hope you all liked this chapter. Please let me know how I'm doing!