it had always been you

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, that's not going to happen", Shadow didn't think about it for a second. "Agreed", Amy said as she stood up from her chair as she had successfully freed herself from the ropes tying her down.

"How did you even do that?", Sonic asked her surprised.

"What do you mean?"

"How did you free yourself from the ropes? I tied them pretty tight"

"Oh, that...Someone actually taught me-"

That's when it hit Amy, a very clear memory from the past.

.
.
.

"I still don't understand why I have to do this, you know I can defend myself", Amy said as she was uncomfortably tied down to her kitchen chair.

"I am aware you can protect yourself, but defending yourself also means to know how to get out of situations you don't want to be in", Shadow sat down in a chair, facing Amy directly. "If you are going to be dating the ultimate life form, then you must know the basics...now concentrate and listen to me"

.
.
.

"I am leaving", Shadow's voice brought Amy back to reality. He had also broken free from the ropes that were tying him down. He began to walk towards the door and as he opened the door, he heard a soft voice.

"Wait Shadow...Don't leave"

Amy's voice hit him like a truck, and his mind took him to experience a memory from the past.

.
.
.

"Shadow, don't leave me"

"Amy, you know I have to...I am sorry I am making you go through this", Shadow didn't dare to turn around and face her. The last thing he wished was to see Amy's begging face. He knew that it was hard for her, once a month he had to leave for another gun mission. Sometimes he will end in the hospital and whenever he would wake up, Amy was there.

"I apologize, I know it must be hard for you...I'll understand if one of these days you decided to end our relationship", Shadow said in a clear voice. He finally had the courage to face her, only to find a shocked expression.

"...Don't ever say that! We are in this together...I'll wait for you now and forever"

Damn, he was so in love.

.
.
.

"Damn it", Shadow whispered as he let go of the door knob's and walked back to his seat. "So, are you going wish to remember?",Sonic asked.

"I don't know if it's for the best...we broke up for a reason. It must have been a really good reason. For me to be in that state as Sonic says...I don't think I want to remember", Shadow stated and looked at Amy.

"I think he is right...Maybe remembering is not the best idea", Amy added.

"You guys don't understand... you two are meant for each other", Sonic said as he took a moment to look at the couple.
.
.
.

"I don't think we are meant for each other", Amy looked down to the ground confused. She felt a strong hand lift up her chin, making her look straight into Shadow's eyes.

"It doesn't matter if we are not meant for each other...it matters if we want to be with each other"

.
.
.

"Why did we break up?", Amy asked as she looked at Rouge for answers. "We don't know...the day I went to your house you were crying and told me you broke up with Shadow. But you didn't tell me why", Rouge looked to the floor then to Sonic who added, "Shadow couldn't even say proper sentences the day you two broke up."