Chapter 1

Chapter 1

1869

My name is Anna-lease Amanda Grey. I died on the 16th of September 1869. Some say that when the body dies the spirit moves on but in my case it didn’t.I had retired to my bedroom to wash up before bed. I asked my maid to untie my corset so I may change into my night gown and then I went to sit in the chair that rested on my bedroom balcony. I often sat outside before bed on summer nights. The warm breeze always relaxed me. My family was quite rich back in the 1800’s and so we had a huge double story mansion. That night I got the oddest feeling when I sat down on my balcony, like the feeling of danger. I dismissed it for the first couple of minutes but when the feeling didn’t retreat I got up and went to go inside to bed. I got half way to my bedroom door when I involuntarily froze. I try to move to go back inside but my body wouldn’t move. I stayed frozen for what seemed like hours but was only a short few minutes. I gained slight control of my body after a few minutes. First my hands than my legs but not my mouth, I could not scream or cry out to someone. I started to stumble to the balcony door, on my hands and knees. I was nearly at the door, fingertips away from reaching it when I fell flat on my stomach, unable to move any boy part yet again. My head started pounding, like my brain was getting squished into a tiny little ball and the presence of a stranger’s unwelcomed mind looming within my soul. The stranger spoke with a voice that I could only hear, demanding me to come to the edge of the balcony. I tried resisting, to run inside lock the doors and cry on my mother’s shoulders, but I wasn’t strong enough,. The voice of the stranger was so strong that I couldn’t compete. The warm summer’s night turned to a cold shivering chill. The sudden change in temperature made me fear that I was going to freeze to death but what I didn't yet know was that the cold would be the least of my problems. That’s when I saw him out of the corner of my eye, the shaded figure leaning against the tree in my garden. He was just standing there smiling, laughing. The figure looked so familiar but I couldn’t place where I knew him from. I tried to run again but my body was paralysed. I figured that that was the end of my short very brief life, I couldn’t fight against this stranger, so I gave up. He leaped up from the ground onto my balcony. An impossible leap. He grabbed me by the hair and lifted me up so I was standing. It all happened within seconds and the last thing that went through my mind before the pain started burning through my neck was how much I loved my mother and how I was sorry for not being strong enough for her when she had to kick father out and that I couldn’t fight this stranger off me, but most of all I was sorry that I would be leaving her alone. I felt at my neck and pulled my hand back to see the wet gooiness. The pain started to fire up again except this time the pain spread down my body and through my arms and legs. My whole body tensed as I screamed my way through the pain. If you’re having trouble imagining what it’s like to go through the change than imagine someone holding a lighter close to your skin for a few moments and then they move the lighter so the flame is on your skin and they are burning you alive one body part at a time. The pain started from my neck down to my shoulder, than my stomach, than down to my legs where it ended at my feet. The pain was so bad that it made a few minutes seem like hours but eventually it just like everything else, it stopped and I went numb. The only burning now was in my throat. I thought it was all over and that my soul had left my body to find peace but oh how I was wrong. My mother, who must have heard the screaming that I thought no one else could hear, ran out onto the balcony where I lay emotionless and numb. Her face was full of beauty, even with concern written all over it whilst tears fell from her eyes. I remember her face perfectly even to the day of my death. The voice, that had vanished whilst the pain took over my mind and my body, was back again but this time it was making me do something I didn’t want to do, something that I would always regret. I tried to resist but I wasn’t strong enough, I was never strong enough. I tried to disobey the order but in the end I was weak. I grabbed my mother and bit into her sweet artery and drained her clean, and just like that the voice was gone and I was myself again. I stared down at what use to be my mother and I cried. My mother’s blood was easing the burning feeling at the back of my throat.. I sat there in the corner of the balcony for what seemed like days as I watched my mothers’ pale body rot. It took a few days to regain my sanity and figure out what to do next..i waited till dark and dug my mother a grave where only I would find her. I went upstairs had a shower, packed a bag containing the money in the box that was hidden behind some books on the book shelf, food, my hair brush, clothes and my mother’s diary and then I ran. I will never forget that day, the day I killed my mother. It was January 16th 1869, my sixteenth birthday.