Chapter 4 (Gutsy Move)

After the show Amber went to the back room. She changed into her normal t-shirt, high waist jeans, and comfy shoes. As she let down her long brown hair, she looked at the mirror to find a little joker card. On the back read, "Hello gorgeous, you did great tonight. Dinner sometime? Xoxo -J." Amber smiled and grabbed her bag as she walked out of the tent. The night air was cool and quiet. The only noise was the owls that were in the distant woods. Amber's stomach growled which sounded like the loudest noise in the quietness. Maybe she would take Jerome up on that dinner offer. She giggled to herself as she walked to the cabins area. She stopped as her eyes dropped onto a beaten up Jerome sitting on their childhood bench.
Amber ran up to Jerome and craddled his head into her shoulder. "What the hell did she do to you??", Amber growled angrily referring to his mother. Jerome lightly chuckled at the protectiveness of Amber. "Nothing that she hasn't done before.", he mumbled. Amber rolls her eyes and holds his hand. "I hate this..", Amber says almost in a whisper. Jerome looks at her in an understanding way. "It's just the life we have gorgeous.", he brushes her hair out of her face and behind her ears. His dark green eyes look into her blue ones. His freckles were gone and is replaced with manlyish features. Amber puts her hand close to his bruised cheekbone. "So, we're just going to take the beatings every day until we can go somewhere?", she furrows her brows. Jerome sighs. Just then, Amber's uncle bursts out of Jerome's mom's cabin totally drunk.
Amber and Jerome look at each other shocked, but not shocked. "Wow two drunk abusive parents.. in one cabin.. banging.", Jerome states in an amused way. "Now that's a good book.", Amber sarcastically says to Jerome. Jerome chuckles and Amber's uncle looks angrily at the two. "You little cunts need to get your asses home. Especially your punk ass Amber.", he states stumbling down the steps and walks to Amber. Amber backs away as he gets closer. Jerome watches carefully as if he's ready to attack. "Your ass hasn't been home in three days. The house is a mess and the food ain't gonna fix itself!", he says as he steadies himself on the bench. "Who the hell do you think I am?? Your maid? You're a pig uncle Joe! You're lazy and always pushing me around just because you think I owe you! I don't owe you anything!!", Amber shouts angrily as she continues to walk backwards out of fear. Her uncle's eyes darken and without warning he reaches across the bench to grab Jerome. Luckily, Jerome was quick enough to avoid him. "I KNEW THAT YOU WERE NO GOOD FOR HER!!", Joe shouted and paused as Jerome's mother walks out in a robe. "Get your ass in here and leave poor Mr. Joe alone.", she states as she drinks a bottle of rum. Jerome looks at Amber with concern as his mom drags him inside. Joe looks at Amber after the door closed. "As for you...", he smiles evily and grabs hold of Amber's arm. "Let go of me!!," Amber shouted as she tried wiggling away. "You're not going anywhere you spoiled brat.", he says as he pulls her to the cabin. "No!", she shouts as she kicks him in the crouch. "YOU BITCH!," he coughs out as he raises his bottle and making it break over Amber's head.