Boomtown

While we departed the Nether unscathed, the same didn't go for Boomtown, which the portal, upon arrival, had sent Jesse and me flying into the air. It was apparently the brunette's turn to endure a slice of misfortune...because he fell face-first into the valley of sand below us, whereas I landed right on my ass. Don't get me wrong, it still hurt, especially considering the great length we had fallen, but it just wasn't the same. So, after a short-lived session of groaning in pain and repositioning my behind, I went over to Jesse, offering him my good hand. He took it, but not before grumbling and cursing under his breath about the 'itchy, coarse sand' that had made its way into his eyes, mouth, and nostrils. In a poor attempt not to laugh, I told him through gritted teeth that I would help him. The brunette continued with his tirade, though, his tongue only faltering when my fingers brushed against his cheek. His skin felt incredibly warm, but I didn't think much of it because one, we'd just departed the Nether, and two, we were now in a dry, hot desert.

"There, no more, uh, itchy, coarse sand," I reiterated, running my hand against my jacket, which I would probably remove soon. "Are you good now?"

"I—yes, yes I am," Jesse stammered, his hands awkwardly situated by his pockets, "Now, let's go before—"

Boom!

An explosion sounded behind us, and as if on instinct, I whipped my head towards the portal, thinking that a Ghast had somehow made its way through—but that wasn't the case. Rather, it was enormous chunks of sandstone descending on us like a flock of locusts. 'Move!' Jesse shouted, but I had already tossed myself aside, not wanting to be incapacitated by a stupid sedimentary rock. 'Thump!' it went as it landed harshly where I formerly stood, sending a wave of sand over my lower half and consequently burying me.

"Holy shit! What is going on?" I asked, wriggling my body to loosen the ground's hold on my legs, "A Civil War?"

"I wouldn't be able to tell you," Jesse said, offering me his hand and lifting me with one movement. I gasped, astonished by his strength. Maybe I wasn't as heavy as I always thought I was. "I'm sure when we get to Magnus, though, he can offer some insight."

"I'm not sure if I want that," I said, catching two individuals chasing each other with what appeared to be a stick of dynamite from the corner of my eye, "Oh God, that's not dynamite, is it? They're going to kill each other!"

"Yeah, and if they don't kill each other," Jesse said, offering me his sword next, "They will kill us."

Underestimating the weight of the weapon, I found myself falling forwards the moment I grasped the hilt. 'Fuck,' I muttered, promptly straightening my back before twisting my wrist to rotate the blade where it wouldn't hurt anyone, just like I would a kitchen knife.

"Sorry, I should have warned you," Jesse chuckled, "Still, you handled it well."

"Well, I should have had a little bit more foresight," I said, "Granted that it's made of stone."

He shrugged half-heartedly.

"I think you'll do just fine," Jesse said as he fished out the amulet from his pocket, "Just be mindful about where you point it."

"Wait, you don't expect me to use this, do you?" I asked, waving his sword carelessly in the air despite his previous statement, "I'm not familiar with swords."

"Well, uh, you decided to come along,"  Jesse reminded me, pausing shortly before continuing, "And I cannot—I mean we! We cannot afford to lose the amulet...or you."

"Interesting choice of words," I pointed out, watching his face contort between a mixture of confusion and embarrassment. Of course, I instantly regretted what I'd said; and since I felt like a complete jackass, I attempted to correct myself. "B-but you're right! You're right. We definitely cannot afford that because I—I mean, the amulet. Yes. The amulet...it's very, very important."