Competition

My outfit consisted of a taupe mock neck tank top, high-waisted black shorts, a brown leather belt, and beige slip-on shoes. It was the most basic combination I had ever worn, admittedly, but I liked it nonetheless. When I stood in front of the floor-length mirror, I could do nothing but admire my appearance in the clothing. The neutral colors complimented my skin tone so much that I found myself considering replacing my entire wardrobe. Something was missing, though, like jewelry or even the coach backpack I had back home. 'What a damn shame,' I thought, 'But that'll have to do.' As soon as I had exited the dressing room, I was showered with compliments by my current companions. And I, unused to the praise, blushed in response.

"Oh man, you look great!" Axel said, "With the right shorts on, too."

Both Jesse and Olivia nodded in agreement, chuckling after mentioning how breathable my new shorts appeared. The observation only served to broaden my blush, however, but what could I say? They were not wrong. Unfortunately, my thighs were left chafed from Olivia's hand-me-downs. It's not like anyone would notice the red, angry stripes that marked my inner thighs, though—unless they looked long enough, of course. Even then, my awareness of its existence alone was enough to embarrass me.

"Don't mention it," I mumbled.

"Okay, okay," Jesse said. "I won't."

"Besides that," Olivia said, "Something's missing."

"Yeah, that's what I thought," I said.

Olivia approached a nearby rack, swiftly going through the countless jackets that hung from it. The sound of metal scraping against metal disturbed other shoppers, but she paid no mind to their pointed looks. As much as I empathized with them, I didn't stop her. She was excited, and the expression on her face when she pulled out an olive green bomber jacket was priceless.

"Oh, how lovely!" I said, "But you shouldn't; the shorts are enough."

"It's not often I get to dress other people," she said, "Um, girls, I guess."

I (profusely) thanked Olivia for her generosity as I assumed the two new additions to my outfit weren't exactly cheap, considering how luxurious it felt. Since I was a college student with a minimum wage job, I seldom bought single items that exceeded $15. Unless it was on sale for considerably less than it was worth, that was the only exception. So, I was determined to put 100% effort into their competition for their accommodating nature.

Following our entrance to the building competition, we directed ourselves to our assigned booth. Unfortunately, it seemed like the group had arrived a tad bit late. The other teams around us were far into their builds, and I felt partially responsible. Partially, I say, because I wasn't the only contributing factor to their late arrival. A leather-cladded group of individuals, to be specific, were the ones mainly at fault. They were the Ocelots, the group Axel claimed they shared a rivalry with. 'Rivalry, my ass!' I scoffed. Besides the tall, blonde guy—their leader—they were all downright nasty bullies.

"If y'all won't do shit about it," I declared, "I just might!"

All three of them laughed at my vocabulary, ignoring the fact that I was trying to defend them. Even then, I continued with my incessant vulgarity, piling large amounts of green wool in the meantime. It wasn't a difficult task at all, but it made it harder for me to focus with the unhealthy levels of anger in my body.

"I think that's enough wool, Y/N," Axel chuckled.

"Okay, did I at least do it right, though?" I asked.

I slid down the short ladder and stepped back to admire the Creeper I had delicately sculpted. Besides one smooth edge on the creature's head, it looked exactly like the reference my companions provided me with.