The Inferno

The anomalous warmth that enveloped my body had a sedative effect on my consciousness. While I had no idea what was responsible for the sensation, I didn't care enough to question it. Not only did it assuage the terror that once inhabited my mind, but it also put me at ease with my newfound reality. Unfortunately, my mental preparedness remained unchanged; still, at least, I was more at ease. As peaceful as I felt, though, I no longer wished to burden the individual who currently had me slung over their shoulder—including my abdomen, which was suffering under this position. So, I tapped them on the back, alerting them that I had awoken.

"Hey, can you put me down?" I coughed, underestimating how dry my throat was.

"Finally, you're up!" it was Axel who responded, "I was starting to get a little tired."

He crouched down, allowing my body to (awkwardly) slide off of him. Now, I had no clue how long I'd been unconscious, but it sure did a number on the waist below. 'Shit! Sorry, Axel,' I apologized as I supported myself on his arm, 'My legs—my feet, they are asleep.' He assured me it was alright and remained crouched, thus allowing me to awaken my limbs. Despite the slight paraesthesia that persisted, I figured I would do just fine and quickly distanced myself from Axel's personal space.

Gravel crunched under me, its coarseness penetrating the soles of my shoes. And the sound of crackling fire entered my ear canal, following an uninviting scent likewise to death. I scrunched my nose in distaste while thinking, 'Where am I?' From my place, I could only see wall-like structures formatted from oxidized rocks. The fire I detected was nowhere in sight, but I knew it had to be close because it illuminated the area.

"What is this place?" I asked, my voice still rough from the lack of moisture, "Jesus Christ, it's like the Inferno in here."

"We're in the Nether," Jesse said, "The 'Inferno' sounds more fitting, though."

"Yeah, and more accurate," Olivia added.

"The Nether? What happened to the Overworld?"

"Gabriel informed us of a portal nearby," Jesse said, "We jumped in to get away from the Wither Storm."

So, the state of the Overworld had deteriorated so rapidly that they sought refuge in a Hell-like dimension. How insane! Did Jesse expect us to waste in this dreaded place until the Wither had spontaneously disappeared, though? According to my memory, the Nether was home to the skeletons Petra had risked her neck over, which was better than coexisting with Ivor's behemoth, admittedly. Still, I was a modern individual with little understanding of basic survival skills.

"Our stay here is temporary, right?" I looked to Jesse, "Because this place is so hot. Like, my throat is parched, and I'm feeling kind of...strange?"

"Yeah, no, we're not staying here," Jesse said, "This place is pure fire and lava; we wouldn't last a few hours here."

"Holy shit, how are we—how are we alive?" I asked, dumbfounded, "I mean, plants and water provide most of the oxygen we inhale. How...can we breathe? And how haven't our clothes burst into flames?"

I paused. The potions, the Iron Golem, the Wither, and the fact that people here can utilize portals to enter a different dimension—there's no logic behind any of that, I reminded myself.

"I've never thought about that," Olivia folded her arms, "If the world doesn't get devoured, I'll probably look into it."

"Oh, well, that's...great," I lied. As concerning as it was that they had no knowledge of the logical aspect behind humans surviving in a dimension without the vital components that allow us to live, I quickly changed the subject. "Anywho, what are we going to do now? Because I think I'll pass out from dehydration or a heat stroke soon."

"Well, since the portal was destroyed after Ivor made his way in here," Lukas piped up, "We're going to use the network of mine carts to get out of here."

"Ivor survived?" I scoffed, "The Wither should have taken him."

"Well, if it makes you feel any better," Axel said, "Jesse punched him in the face."

I shrugged my shoulders half-heartedly. Frankly, Ivor deserved far worse, especially because he had willingly plunged the world into destruction for his selfish agenda—not to mention that I, a completely unrelated individual, had been dragged into the situation. I was unable to express that to them, though, mainly because an anomaly suddenly made itself known by crying out and ejecting fire in our direction. I hadn't expected an explosion, at least not one powerful enough to have left a generously-sized crater in its wake. Fortunately, Lukas had yanked me aside by the collar of my jacket, saving me from the fiery demolition the ground had sustained.

"What the hell is that?" I shrieked, "A ghost?"

"Close enough," Lukas said, "It's a Ghast."

Amid the rain of gravel, Jesse instructed us to run in the opposite direction of the 'Ghast-ly' being. Considering my lack of agility, I held onto the blonde in an attempt to match his pace. As we delved deeper into the Nether, my legs started to falter; thankfully, when I had begun to slow down, the mine carts came into view. In my moment of glee, I shouted, 'Hell yeah!', eager to escape the Ghast and relieve my sore legs. However, the feeling quickly dissipated once I realized where the tracks progressed.

"Everybody, hold on!"

The sudden nosedive into the valley of lava had me hurling over the carts. I believe I heard Olivia retch from behind me, but I was too occupied with the issue at hand: the lack of safety measures. Sure, my dehydration impeded my ability to process things swiftly, but I knew something was missing—a solid foundation. Based on what I learned at school, wouldn't the extreme heat cause the network to compress and buckle? I mean, if they were made of iron, of course. Otherwise, I dearly hoped I was incorrect because I sure as shit didn't want to endure such a slow, painful death.

"Oh no! Jesse!" Olivia cried out, "The tracks, they are ending!"

"What!?" I asked, terrified, "You're kidding, right? Right?"

Olivia didn't respond because as soon as the carts plunged further than I thought possible into the Nether, the answer was right there. 'The lever!' I heard the others unanimously exclaim as I observed the sight before me. Lava cascaded from above, threatening to swallow us as effortlessly as the tracks that once stood in its place. While everyone continued to chant, 'The lever! Hit the lever!' Jesse sat unmoved, completely and utterly stupefied by the horrifying revelation. It wasn't until the pig in his arms squealed in terror that the brunette snapped out of his trance and, finally, did as was told.

"Please tell me that was it," I breathed out, placing my hand on my chest in a attempt to alleviate my thumping heart.

Unfortunately, that wasn't the end of it. The tracks promptly sunk below us, forcing us down several more levels before the carts quickly divided us into two groups comprised of three: Axel, Jesse, and Reuben, and Olivia, Lukas, and I. As we dispersed in opposite directions, I slightly craned my neck towards Olivia, who sat behind me, and told her, 'I think I'm going to pass out.' I think she said, 'No! You can't do that!' but it was muffled by the familiar sound of a crying Ghast. 'Damn this world,' I muttered before I slumped into the cart and silently begged for God's mercy.