Incredulity

The sun had gone down, allowing the moon and the stars to assume their position in the night sky. It was a magnificent sight I had the privilege to behold, considering how polluted the atmosphere was back at home. Nevertheless, I couldn't thoroughly enjoy the star-studded night, at least not without Jesse. Hours had gone by since we came out victorious from the building competition, so it was difficult not to worry. I would wait patiently beside Axel and Olivia, though, mainly because searching for him was out of the question. 'Monsters, my ass!' I thought. According to them, the forest was an unwelcoming place at nighttime. Unless you had a death wish, the wisest thing to do was avoid leaving the confined city, mainly because no one would help you.

'Bullshit.'

"They'll be back," Olivia said, "I know it."

"I still don't understand why we can't look for them ourselves," I mumbled.

"We told you already," Axel started, "It isn't safe—"

"Why? Because of the Zombies, Creepers, and Skeletons?" I sarcastically asked, "Or was it the Endermen?"

"Please! You wouldn't stand a chance," Olivia said, "That is if you truly are from a place where monsters don't exist."

"You gotta be kidding me!" I exclaimed, "Ghosts, I can believe in them, but Zombies?"

"Ghosts? Now that's crazy," Axel scoffed, "Who believes in Ghosts?"

"The undead is crazy," I said, "And so are suicidal creatures!"

Olivia massaged her forehead with her fingers, clearly annoyed over the childish argument. It was the second one of the night, too, so another screaming match was not something she wanted to participate in. Unfortunately, however, she couldn't stop it from transpiring. Like they had done previously before, they refused to acknowledge the existence of California, the United States, or any modern innovation—which was an incredibly frustrating experience, to be frank.

"Can't we call 911? Aiden deserves to suffer behind bars!" I said, refusing to forgive and forget him.

"How do you call a number?" Axel dumbly asked, "They're just numbers; They can't lock him up!"

"911 is what you dial to get in contact with the police, Axel," I said.

"Dial? Dial what? What is that to begin with?" he continued, "I don't understand you! Are you an alien?"

"This isn't a joke, you dumbass!" I yelled.

"Hey! Calm down, the both of you," Olivia intervened.

"How am I supposed to calm down when y'all act like I'm crazy!" I sobbed, "Is everyone here participating in an elaborate joke?"

"We don't think you're crazy, Y/N," she explained, "We just don't understand what you're talking about."

"Come on! How do you expect me to believe you?" I began, "People don't just fall out of the sky and land in some fictional place!"

"How sure are YOU that you didn't fall out of the sky?"

Since then, being the civil one proved to be difficult for Olivia. With Axel and I being equally stubborn individuals, getting us to let go of an argument was challenging. But, while Jesse was absent, she could do nothing more to alleviate the situation. It wasn't until several more minutes into our pointless argument that she decided to put a stop to it, though. She grabbed Axel and me by the arm, stating that she had had enough.

"I can't take any more of your bickering," Olivia said, "So, I think we should go to Endercon separately."

"What the fuck is Endercon? Some nerd function?" I asked, "If so, I'm not interested."

"Oh no, you have no other option," she said, "Either you go, or I'll send you back to where you came from."

Even though I desperately wanted to prove them wrong, I did not want to go back into the forest. Therefore, I pulled my arm back from Olivia's grasp in silent oblige to her ultimatum; and she, in turn, smiled in satisfaction. 'Ass,' I thought as she proceeded to separate Axel and me like scolded children, forcing us to face Endercon alone as if it were a drywall corner. The only good thing about the whole situation was Olivia's consideration: her choice to go out there alone, as well. Still, she left me on my own in an unfamiliar place among a crowd of strangers, and I was an incredibly anxious person. If it weren't for the fact that some gorgeous blonde had decided to accompany me all of a sudden, I would have died right then and there.

"Hey," I heard from behind me, "Y/N, right?"

I turned around and saw Lukas, who stood in an incredibly awkward way. I scoffed at the sight of him, but I did not refuse him either.

"Yes, that's correct," I began, "What do you want?"

"Hey, I'm sorry, okay?" Lukas said, "I wanted to apologize for what happened at the building competition, properly."

"You shouldn't be apologizing to me," I said, "It was a group effort, after all."

"I know, I know," he continued, "But finding them has been, uh, rather difficult. I feel like they're purposely avoiding me."

"Rightfully so," I muttered.

A frown overtook his face, which, for some unknown reason, made me feel guilty. So, out of the goodness of my heart, I allowed myself to process Lukas's half-assed apology. Sure, It wasn't the best, but it seemed sincere—coupled with the look on his face, of course. Also, he wasn't actually at fault, so I had no legitimate reason to be upset with him. The unforgivable act that Aiden had committed was on Aiden himself, and I completely understood that. That's why I decided to do what I did next, even if it would earn Axel and Olivia's disapproval when they found out eventually.

"Okay, okay," I said, "I don't think I have the right to accept your apology, but I am going to do it anyway."

"Thanks," he smiled.

"Your friend should watch his back, though."

"Hold on, that's my friend you're talking about!"

"Yeah, and your friend could have burned innocent people to death, so what's your point?" I sarcastically asked.

"Okay, it was a very crappy decision on his part," he paused, "And I feel just as responsible for his actions. So, if you would let me make it up to you, that would be nice."

"Alright, you could make it up to my by accompanying me on this, um, Endercon thing."

"Okay, great."

We shared a brief moment of silence; however, it didn't take long until we found ourselves making pleasant conversation. Sure, there were plenty of awkward pauses here and there as I would mention something totally alien to Lukas, but it wasn't all that bad. For example, I managed to input about ten Michael Scott quotes while we exchanged jokes, and he laughed at a few of them. The one that he liked the most was, "Sometimes I'll start a sentence, and I don't even know where it's going. I just hope I find it along the way." The one that he liked the least, though, was, "If I had a gun with two bullets and I was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and Toby, I would shoot Toby twice," possibly because all three individuals were (somehow) foreign to him...and the gun, too. It's very frustrating, to say the least, but what was I supposed to do? Perhaps I stumbled upon the Amish community! Yeah, I didn't. I sure as shit know I didn't.