Time and Time Again

I edited this because I didn't really like the ending... :)

Edit x2: and then I edited it again yayyy

Sheik jumped from tree to orange leaved tree. Her white scarf billowed behind her, caught in the wind. Her outfit had been borrowed from Link (Hero of the Wild; the Fifth Champion), as Master Hand had wanted her to have a new appearance. She had last participated in the Melee Tournament, the Zelda from Twilight Princess taking over as both her personas for Brawl and Smash 4.

Master Hand insisted she take the spotlight in Ultimate, though. Twilight Princess had had their run- but this Zelda had just learned the magic for the Zelda fighter. The physical prowess required for Sheik would be too much for her. So, why not go back to the original Sheik- the one who started it all? She was a veteran, knew a lot of the fighters, and could help out the new Link and Zelda if needed.

However, she couldn't show up as her old appearance- oh no. This was Ultimate for a reason, Master Hand had said. So she had borrowed the Stealth outfit from Link and kept her head wrappings. Good as new.

Right now, she was heading towards her favorite spot to meditate. Deep in the forest, where no one could find her. The Skull Kid remembered her (surprisingly) and let her pass without much trouble.

Sheik was feeling particularly homesick today. She was getting rather lonely, even though she was surrounded by friends and her practically adoptive family. Sheik sighed and kept jumping. It was weird, and confusing, and she was never good with emotions.

So she ran away.

She reached a huge clearing, surrounded by the trees of early autumn. Flowers were retreating back to their warm graves and leaves sometimes fell from their homely bark. She sighed. This was as good as home for her (liar).

She settled in the middle, legs crossed, extending her senses to beyond the clearing in meditation. But then— A rustling. Skull Kid? It was unlikely- he would be trying to find other Smashers to bother, and he had already granted her safe passage. It also wasn't an animal— the rustling was coming from something heavy, and the only critters out here were birds, squirrels, and various bugs.

Intruder.

She opened one ruby eye, as red as the one proudly displayed on her chest. She glanced around. There was nothing visible to the naked eye, but she knew better than to dismiss it so easily.

She slowly stood up, tense and ready to attack/dodge. I swear to Farore, if it's Greninja again...

The rustling grew as someone pushed their way through the bushes. She needed no further prompting and sprinted towards them, tackling them to the ground with her knee on their stomach and one hand clenched around their wrists, her other holding a dagger to their throat. The fighters knew better than to disturb her during her meditation, and now she was in a very bad mood.

But then she blinked, and quickly let go of the perpetrator.

It was Link. The Hero of Time. The adult Link.

She gasped in shock, and backed away, the dagger forgotten in the grass (she should probably get that— someone was going to get stabbed, probably Link). Her hands flew to her mouth and apologies tumbled out of her mouth.

But he just grinned at her, the cheeky boy. "Miss me?"

Sheik gaped at him, hidden by her cowl, and then her regret dissipated into irritation. "Link— W-what? That's what you say after I almost kill you? You're not even concerned for your own safety! I swear, sometimes—!"

She cut herself off and slumped down, shoving her face into her hands. Link knelt down onto his knees, as he had gotten up after she had gotten off of him. He titled his eyebrows in concern and sincerity.

"You wouldn't have hurt me, so I had no reason to be scared."

Zelda peeked through her bandaged fingers and glared at him. "How do you know? I could have realized too late, accidentally slit your throat—"

"You would have realized it was me before then, and you did. Zel, you're the smartest, prettiest, fastest, coolest, goodest, quickest-thinking... uh..."

She snorted slightly. "Link, did you run out of adjectives? Also, 'goodest' isn't a word."

He huffed. "No, I just— uh— am saving... them... Shaddup! Stop being smart!"

Sheik laughed and flicked his nose, wrapping her arms around his neck and dragging him towards her. He leaned a little too far forward, though, and ended up bringing them both down to the ground. She exhaled sharply as the hero landed on top of her, and Link quickly got off, stumbling over his apologies.

"S-sorry! I-uh- sorry!"

Sheik waved a hand flippantly and sat up to kiss his cheek. "Don't be. Come on, lay down with me."

Link blinked for a second, shocked, as he slowly reached a hand up to where she kissed him. He grinned dopily and flung himself onto his back, curling an arm around her. Zelda nestled herself into his chest, setting her head and a hand onto his Kokiri tunic. She sighed happily, closing her eyes and listening to his heartbeat.

She was home again.

underwent heavy editing october 11 2019