2 - The new song

"Can I come in?" Juleka asked standing at Luka's door.

He stopped playing and looked up with a smile.

"Always, Jules." He answered warmly.

Composing the song was pointless anyway, when he couldn't find the right notes. As if all his inspiration disappeared after yesterday meeting at the ice rink.

"Mom's asking if you want dinner now." Juleka murmured, still leaning against the door frame.

"I'll join you in a minute." He nodded. "Just let me finish... uhm... this song..." he hesitated.

"Your new song?"

"I'm not sure yet." Luka shrugged.

"Depressing a bit." Juleka commented. "Too much even for me..."

"Uhm... I don't know how it will go. Just trying with different tones."

"Is everything OK, Luka?" his sister asked suddenly alarmed.

Luka smiled to himself. It was easy to foresee. She knew perfectly that he expressed himself with music. If he played nostalgic songs, that meant he felt that way. Sometimes he wanted to be as secretive as his sister was. Although they knew each other so well, that he could tell any change in her mood (from more depressed to less depressed – or conversely) by blowing away a strand of her hair or by leaning her head in a different way.

"Yes, everything is fine, Jules." He ensured her with a warm smile.

"So... Why this song?"

"That's my mood now. But the refrain will be more cheerful. I promise."

"Good." She nodded and she was about to leave, when she suddenly added: "Oh, I invited my friends after dinner. Marinette asked for an emergency council again. I hope you don't mind."

"I'm fine. Say 'hello' from me to her." Luka replied in seemingly casual tone and he leaned over his guitar.

Juleka immediately came back to her brother's room, raising her eyebrow. Nice try, but she knew him too well!

"Huh, so it's about Marinette..." she discovered, approaching to him.

Luka smiled unconsciously. Yes, it was always about Marinette...

"You should tell her." Juleka whispered, sitting down on his bed.

"I know." He replied firmly. "And I will. But not now yet."

"You're right, it's not the best idea for now..." she agreed, remembering that Marinette's heart was taken by Adrien, so there was only one answer possible that she could give to Luka at the moment.

"Besides, after our skating yesterday I should give her some space." Luka added and only a stunned expression on Juleka's face told him that this news was rather a shock for her.

"Your what?!"

"Skating." He repeated calmly, although he felt an anger rising in his sister.

"So that was her plan..." she whispered quietly. "I'll disembowel her like fish and hang astern!"

Luka laughed loudly. Only his sister could say such words in a totally emotionless tone. But he knew how angry she was inside. Their family was the most important thing for her, and she would do anything to protect them. It was impossible to not love her.

"Don't get me wrong, Luka." Juleka added immediately. "Marinette is one of my best friends and I would do anything for her. But when she starts playing games with my brother..."

"I know about Adrien, Jules." Luka interrupted, before his sister said too much.

"Oh... You do?" she was surprised.

"Yeah. I do. And Marinette isn't playing games with me. You can still like her."

"Oh... Ooooh..." it dawned upon her. "Now I get it..."

Luka only smiled sadly, and Juleka sighed and stood up to leave.

"I wish your song were more cheerful..." she said, standing at the door.

"It will be, Jules." Luka promised.