**********

Sunday, I stood in front of The White Rose Manor taking in the three-story home. Standing this close, I could see where everyone thought it was beautiful. A cobblestone circular drive curved in front of it with large white statues of Zeus and Hera on each side. I moved up the steps of the rotunda entrance taking in the stone façade as I shifted my bag on my shoulder with the box filled with my belongings gripped in my hands so I wouldn't drop it. At the large wooden doors, I took a deep breath trying to push Izzie's warnings that I didn't have to do this from my mind. 

Balancing the box on my hip, I raised my hand to knock but before I could, the door opened shocking me so much that I fell forward losing my grip on the box as all the contents fell across the matchbox marble floor. Strong hands gripped me, helping me to my feet.

"Are you all right?" A voice deep in timber asked. I forced my eyes up to his with my cheeks burning red to stare into the bright green eyes of Jonathon Gage. When he was sure I was steady, he released me.

"I-I'm okay," I stammered, trying to calm enough that my face would return to its normal pale color. "I'm so sorry."

"Let me help you." He bent to right the box as I rushed to grab the contents that had fallen out. My face burned brighter as he picked up a pair of lacy, black underwear handing them to me quickly as if they burned his hand. His achingly gorgeous face softened in sympathy.

"Lanie, it's all right." He smiled as I finished picking up my belongings, shoving them into the box. "Don't be embarrassed."

He closed the box and picked it up, gracefully as I rose shifting in my Doc Martens trying not to fall again. My face burned. "This is a great first impression." I pulled my bottom lip between my teeth.

"You made an entrance." Jonathon shrugged before giving me a kind smile.  He lowered his voice into a whisper. "Now, we'll forget it. I won't even tell anyone it happened."

I released a sigh, surprised I actually liked one of the Gage brothers. "Thank you," I said, finally taking in the house as Jonathon closed the door.  

A solid iron double staircase stretched from the grand entrance to the second story. The third-floor landing circled above it. Paintings of Paris decorated the walls on the second floor. My eyes rose to the domed ceiling taking in an enormous crystal chandelier. The beauty of the home was so stunning, I wondered why I had been so frightened of it for so long.

"I'll lead you to your room." Jonathon nodded toward the stairs as he took my bag so I could maneuver the box better. "Afterward, you can meet with Dimitri and Bastian."

At the mention of Bastian's name, my stomach clenched. Out of all the brothers, he was the one I was the most nervous about. He was the one who made me want to run out the front door.

"Follow me," Jonathon said, giving me an encouraging smile.

I straightened and instead of running away like everything in my instincts told me to do, I followed him up the stairs.

**********

Jonathon led me to a hallway on the second floor, stopping in front of the first door. He glanced at me before shifting on his feet.

"This is the family's wing," he said, his voice edged with hesitation. I frowned because I thought I would be sleeping well away from them in the maid's quarters. "We don't want you to view yourself as a servant. To us, the moment you stepped into this house, you became family."

"But I am here to do a job." I sighed.  My heart warmed at the mention of family.  The truth was I missed that inclusion...I missed belonging.

"And we appreciate you doing that job," he said as he ran his hands through his dark hair. "We'll speak to you about that when you meet my brothers."