Chapter 36: Heart is not a Fool after All

Start from the beginning

We have both experienced loss in our growing up years in different ways. I know what it is to feel the vacuum of not having a mother around ; so for us Vansh is what Rhea and Piya are. Everything we have is for the three of them; not a bit less not a bit more.

She walked up to Ritwik and hugged him; heard his heart beat (dhadkan) and said "I am proud of you Ritwik; you have been the wind beneath my wings, my strength; my reason to love, live, laugh and sometimes cry"; Ritwik laughed aloud and hugged her back. "Yeh last mein cry bolke mujhe guilty karna zaroori thha". "These are cries of happiness Ritwik" Palak was literally choked while uttering these words.

Vijay Thinks of Ritwik and Palak

Vijay was surprised with the way Ritwik raced out of the hospital after receiving a call and after spending few restless hours wondering what happened he dialed Palak's number. Her phone was answered by Pradeep's wife Sushma since Palak was busy and she conveyed the good news that Palak and Ritwik were adopting a baby boy who lost his mother at birth and his father on duty at the Line of Control while still in the womb. Vijay was stunned but happy that Ritwik turned out to be way more responsible than he had ever imagined and Palak was indeed his life line. He informed Aman, Reeva, Mamta who were seated around him and walked towards his mother's room to inform her that the heir to the Noon vansh(lineage) had arrived not knowing that Ritwik had already named him Vansh.

Mamta Noon sighed at the news deep in thought that somethings are destiny ; they are what the individual makes of themselves; they are not genetic or upbringing and so Ritwik always stood out in the Noon clan between all his half siblings. He shines in Palak's company; she has the ability to bring out the best in him and that's why they are just simply made for each other in joy, sorrow or happiness. She regretted that evening 4 years ago when she was carried away by her own insecurities and tried to drive a wedge between them. Her relationship with Ritwik changed for ever into an ice-berg and Palak remains courteous and cordial. Aman and Reeva chattered about their soon to arrive child and were eager to hold Ricky's new baby blissfully unaware of what Mamta was going through sitting next to them.

Vansh Reaches Home

The drive from Chandigarh to Delhi seemed endless; Palak and Ritwik hardly spoke but the gentle brush of fingers, holding hands conveyed what it had to. When they reached home, Ritwik walked in with baby Vansh in his arms followed closely by Palak. Manjeet did a customary Aarti while ushering them in and the girls Rhea and Piya came running across and asked "Chhota Baby hamara hai Poppy, Mamma ke pet se aaya?" and while Rhea touched his tender cheeks; Piya was touching Palak's stomach to verify.

Ritwik smiled and told them "Nahi bacche, yeh aapka bhai special hai; mamma ke dil se aaya". The children clapped in happiness and were far too excited and did not know what to do. Rhea pointed to Ritwik then Piya and then herself saying "Ricky; Micky, Chicky aur yeh" looking at Vansh. Just then someone said "Aur Yeh Lucky" !! 

It was Vijay, who wheeled in Ritwik's grand mother and came visiting Ritwik's home accompanied by Taari, Mamta, Aman and the heavily pregnant Reeva. Ritwik was overwhelmed seeing his father and grandmother and was lost for words but Mamta's presence irked him. His eyes met Palak's who requested him to be calm and Ritwik handed over Vansh to his dad who was standing with outstretched hands. He nodded at Palak to take care of everyone while he stepped aside to answer a phone call.

Pradeep had managed to reach the village from the address given by Sheela and found Vansh's grand-father was being taken on his last journey. Ritwik was sad that he could not do anything for the old man who gave him a precious gift of his life. He walked back to the drawing room speaking on the phone watching his father with his children "Thank You Pradeep; aap ne bohot help kiya, Vansh apne Dadoo ke paas hai"