Chapter 24: "Amanaat" gives a Clue

Amanaat Unveiled

One look at the diamond set earring unveiled through the layers of wrapping and Ritwik knew whose it was but before he could react Palak asked Pradeep why he thought it belonged to them so Ritwik allowed her to do the probing. He kept watching Palak's expressions while she was conversing with him.  Pradeep mentioned that he had found it near his desk at the entrance of the building once the patli wali madam left your place. He ran behind her to return it but could not catch up and by the time he returned to his seat, their house was locked. Next two days he kept looking out for then and then finally one day they vacated when he was off duty. He called Palak numerous times on the number that was in the building register but it was switched off. His wife suggested that they keep it and hand over personally since it appeared to be very expensive,  so he kept it with him in hope that he would meet them some day. Palak realised that it was Mamta's but said "Setu ka hoga Ritwik" and tried to keep a straight face. She was confident that Ritwik had no clue of Mamta's jewelry and would be convinced with her words. 

Ritwik responded with a "Hmm" though he instantly recognized that it was Mamta's since it was a DeBeers Limited Edition collection which he had personally picked up 7 years ago from the flagship store in Bond Street, London for Mamta's 50th Birthday. That was an unforgettable shopping experience as he had spent nearly 3 hours zeroing on it and wanted to buy the entire store for his Mom, Mamta and had literally driven the store staff up the wall. Rohit could have purchased a DeBeers Earring for Setu but it is highly impossible for the company to repeat a design from their limited collection. Ritwik thanked Pradeep and took out cash from his wallet to reward him but Pradeep declined with folded hands seeking some work for his wife instead seeing so many ladies in the office. Ritwik asked Palak to include her for any of the outreach programs on women and hygiene. 

Ritwik in Thought

Ritwik was restless and so was Palak but they tried their best to be normal with each other. He worked late that night sitting by himself in the drawing room as the business plan for the next quarter went back and forth with the mentor from KKR (Venture Capitalist). Ritwik kept thinking why Mamta turned up at their place that evening and even if she did why are both tight lipped about it

Did Mamta Mom drop by just like that to enquire about them. It would be too much of a coincidence that Palak turned aloof, stern and took the drastic step after a friendly chat?

Did Mamta Mom bring a message or instruction from dad that compelled Palak ?

Did Mamta Mom herself say something that completely demoralized Palak? He did notice a change in her from the time the truth of Geeta Ma came out. Though she is in denial just like Dad but Ritwik feels a sort of distance from her.

Palak turned around in her sleep to find Ritwik's side of the bed empty and stepped out to check on him since it was nearly 1am. She placed her hands on his shoulders from behind and asked him to rest. "Oh ...Dr Palak, tum mujhe miss kar rahi thhi; isliye uthke aa gayee mere paas" and pulled her hands close. He intended to pull her on to his lap but the laptop came in the way. He kissed her hands and looked straight into her eye. "Ha Ha Ritwik Romance ki baat karne nahi aaye hnu ; mujhe tumhe Geeta Ma ke baare me kuch batana thha" 

"Palak just to let you know that when I am in the mood for some romance you suddenly remember my parents. You asked me to take the vow that I will not talk of my various mothers and nor utter dad but you make sure that you bring them up all the time"

"Ritwik, it's about her health and you are not even serious to listen to it. Leave it, I will do what I have to" and she rushed back to the room

Ritwik realised he had to make up for this untimely tiff and quickly shut shop to retire for the night. He came to bed and hugged her lightly pleading away to turnaround and talk. She finally turned with a stern warning that he better take whatever she tells seriously. She then sat up and told him that Geeta Maa is not well and is frequently in pain. Per Palak's research and reading, liver transplants have a life span of 15 -20 years before it starts giving up so Ritwik better read her case history, speak to her doctors and understand what is up with her. Infact, both of them should accompany Geeta to the doctor next time, its their responsibility. Geeta Ma must not be discussing with him since he is so busy in his own work and other family issues but he should now take the initiative.