Chapter 5: Life Goes On

Delhi- Raheja House

Shyam Kaka ushered in the gentleman into Geeta's home office where she was browsing through the news paper. The suited man greeted her with utmost respect. He ran one of the best sleuthing agencies in India and had done many an undercover job for Geeta over the years. He was obliged to her and Dr Raheja for saving his little daughter's life many years ago. They spoke for an hour and it was decided that he would depute a team to watch over Ritwik since Geeta felt his life was in danger. It had to be done with extreme care since it was a well known family.

Geeta made a quick call to Manjeet to check on Palak before she went about planning next steps. Now that Vikrant was not there she had to focus on office too. 

Delhi - Ritwik's Room

Robin turned up in Ritwik's house with those boxes that Palak's parents had given him. He had received an early morning SOS message from his erstwile boss and immediately obliged. Ritwik agreed to give Robin an assignment for his new found detective agency. He generally spied on prospective brides and grooms for matrimonial purposes but this one was different. Robin's "hideNseek Services" had to visit all hospitals within 5kms of Hotel Blue Diamond and find out where Palak Sharma / Palak Noon was admitted that night and why? Also depute a person around Palak's parents house to keep an eye on when they visited.

Ritwik did not want to be shadowed by his father or Rishabh and be insulted over his search for Palak nor did he want to be accused of family money so he hired Robin. He felt like a loser again; a vacuum in his heart. He wanted to reach out for Beer or better still a stiff peg of whisky on the rocks would perhaps numb his pain. Suddenly Palak's words flashed in his head " Har cheez ka solution drinking hai kya" .  The nightmares of his estranged mother had now changed to day time scoldings of his estranged wife. Ritwik Noon and the saga of two women. 

Chandigarh: Palak and Family

Palak's aunt and cousin Jenny pampered her like a princess. They were very happy to welcome the next generation and the thought of twins excited them no end. Palak would work on her laptop and whenever her eyes welled up remembering Ritwik she would go out and sit with her family. Jenny was an entertainer; and with all her antics would have gelled perfectly with Ritwik. In between she received Setu's call on skype but Palak refused to give her any answer on what happened that night and focused on general banter.

Palak was wondering whether it would be worthwhile to shift to Chandigarh since she was working from home any way. A change of place and away from Ritwik would do keep her mind off all the sadness. At times she felt guilty but soon reasoned that it was all for Ritwik who was wallowing in self pity and unable to cope without his dad. 

Delhi: Noon House

Ritwik was sitting next to Mamta and sipping coffee. He tried to make conversation and tell her that he is convinced that whatever Palak did was under pressure and not true. Mamta reacted saying this time she is not with him and this was no way to hurt her son. His mother Mamta has always been supportive of Palak but today he felt a distance from her; it appeared she had also crossed over to the other side. Mamta then reminded him that he was not taking his pills, thinking too much and now needed to get back to work since his father and brother needed him. 

The pills were meant to keep him numbed and dulled so that this Palak obsession reduced but Aman whom she trusted was not doing his job. Mamta decided to do it herself for next few days, since she had come thus far and could not take any chances.

20 Days Later:

Chandigarh: Palak & Family

Palak had convinced her parents to shift to Chandigarh until her delivery. Her father was nearing retirement and could take 3 months leave. Her mother was worried about her match making business and Palak reasoned with her that Chandigarh had equally rich eligible boys. Geeta took the decision in her stride and helped them find a small house and settle in. It was for her grand children after all and she could this much for her daughter-in-law.

Ritwik in Noon Biotech Office

Ritwik started visiting Noon Biotech office and Rishabh was either sarcastic or insulting. Everyone looked at Ritwik with pity his swag was missing. Annie and Aman would drop in nearly everyday and he quite successfully kept them at bay while waiting for Robin's report about his findings. 

He was dejected every day when Robin reported a blank. There were only 2 hospitals left and if they reported blank he would have no clue. He needed to pay Robin too. Amid all this he was looking forward to meeting his friend Tim this evening and thinking of old times. It was mid-afternoon and his screen flashed that the Sensex had risen 500 points. He quickly logged into his trading account which was unattended for 6 months since his accident. His Rs 25,000 saved had turned into Rs 1.5 lakhs and his joy knew no bounds. So payment to Robin was sorted !! 

Geeta with Sleuths

The sleuthing agency called Geeta to inform that they had made a major break through; they were able to replace one of the chef cum butler in the Noon House with one of their own. So now, they would provide her insider information too. Geeta was super happy; over the years Taari was getting old and she also had her own obligations for the Noons so this would be the best way to know the minds of the people she suspected. 

Ritwik with Tim Jones (Timothy Henry Jones II) 

Ritwik hugged Tim close and the 3 years between them seemed like eternity. They picked up from where they left; Tim sipping cranberry juice and Ritwik over glasses of mint flavored water.  Tim had lost his girl friend Jemma to cancer last year and turned spiritual and Ritwik had lost his wife to his own stupidity of taking spirits too seriously. Ritwik Noon drinking water; look Palak what you did, he chuckled.

 Apart from his job at KKR (Kohlberg, Kravis Roberts) scouting for investments ; Tim was also making a documentary on cancer survivors as a tribute to Jemma. He was to interview a very strong Indian lady he had met a few years ago but just before his meeting she had left Chicago for Delhi and had very reluctantly after much persuasion given her nod to meet him in India. 

Over plates of Chicken Tikka Masala, Tim loved Ritwik's startup idea and urged him to submit the plan to KKR so that they could evaluate him as a part of an ongoing challenge to invest 1 MN USD. Ritwik saw a ray of hope and since KKR was an old boys network of Harvard alumni; he stood a good chance. They hugged and parted for the evening and Tim went his way. Ritwik found a book on the table that Tim had left behind; something that would change his life in the days to come.