Chapter 12: Naming the Babies

The Third Baby

Ritwik dialled Tim on his Whatsapp No; and a loud congratulations followed. Yes, he made it for the 10 MN dollar funding for his startup in the field of Health Care. The decision was made and he would receive the e-mail today which would be followed by a Press Release. Ritwik had tears of joy and thanked Tim for making him a father thrice over and conveyed the good news of his twin girls. Tim was overjoyed too and was glad that his dear friend Ricky was getting his confidence back. Ritwik had this insane urge to call his dad for all the good news but felt it would be better to do it in person. 

Ritwik and Kids

He slumped on the bench near the incubation section watching his little one sleeping peacefully in her crib, her tiny body wrapped up in layers but the chest went up and down as she breathed. The nurse asked him if he was Baby 21's father and after initial disorientation; he nodded ; unnamed babies are often addressed by their Crib numbers in hospitals in India. At that moment his identity as Ritwik Noon dissolved into being a father; just a father and it started sinking in  what is means to be one. 

Palak with Kids:

A few hours later Palak was wheeled into her cabin where Geeta and Manjeet were waiting. One baby was brought in to be fed while she had to pump milk for the other one who was recovering in the incubator. She wanted to rush to the other one but was told by the nurse that the baby's dad was sitting guard. Palak corrected "grand-father" and the nurse stared at Geeta and Manjeet who were not able to control their smile. 

Geeta took out a small gold chain and after touching the baby she handed it over to Palak. She had another small one for the other baby too. When Ritwik was born; his maternal grandmother had gifted him a chain with her meagre means which Geeta had treasured for years. After knowing that Ritwik was going to be father of twins; she got that made into two chains so that each child owned a little bit of their father's childhood. The little one peered through her half open eyes and both grand mothers' playfully argued whether she resembled Ritwik or Palak. Manjeet went on a spree suggesting rhyming names much to Palak's annoyance but Geeta silently listened. She told Palak that she had chosen the names for both her sons so Palak should finally decide for her daughters. Palak was lost in thought and asked the ladies if Ritwik had come because she felt him around her while she was giving birth ; both denied vehemently and diverted her mind

Ritwik and Palak ~ Hide and Seek

Ritwik walked up to Palak's room and met Manjeet just outside the door who insisted that he and Palak's dad go home and rest. Ritwik peeped through the small glass window and saw Palak feeding the baby; it was a beautiful sight as pure as it could be. At that moment; he wanted to go and hug both but with a clenched fist took a step back. No mother who goes through so much birthing pain and care to a child can just leave like that ...why did his mother do that he wondered ? With a deep breath he walked away not wanting to play this hide and seek game with Palak any longer. The truth had to be out, however painful it would be !!

A different perspective on Fatherhood:

Next morning  Ritwik and Palak's father conversed on random topics over cups of tea made by Ritwik. Though he never had doubts; his beliefs were further strengthened that Palak largely drew strength from her dad. He realised that Mr Sharma (Palak's dad) had turned his grief of losing his son as strength for his daughter; accepted destiny; did not blame any one and moved on with his life ; on the other hand his dad had wallowed in grief; blamed his ex-wife inspite of his remarriage and instilled hatred and fear in him. Ritwik wished he could be the strength for his daughters; the wind beneath their sail to help them soar high at every step of their lives. 

Ritwik sets up home for Kids

All the hospital bills were taken care of by Archaic Pharma through their Group Insurance Policy so Ritwik needed to sort out everything for the kids at home. He shopped like crazy in Sector 17 Market, Chandigarh for his kids; right from clothes to other accessories including a large crib for both. He also got himself new clothes and a quick grooming; did not want to embarrass his princesses with this unkempt disheveled look. He wanted to get something for Palak but just could not get himself to buy her a sweeping Anarkali and got her a smart long dress instead in a pastel shade.  

He headed straight to the hospital where Palak's mother asked him animatedly about names for his daughters. He was happy to accept whatever Palak decided since happiness was his utmost priority. The little one in the incubator was doing good and had shown great improvement. Ritwik was relieved after speaking to the doctors that she would also be discharged along with her mother and sister the following day. 

That evening the much awaited mail from KKR arrived with details of legal paper work and funding that would be released. There was one final Skype Call for the customary congratulations from the KKR Team and Ritwik felt on top of the world. He sent out a written mail of acceptance, video message and his own statement of press releas.  

Piya, Rhea and PR HealthCare Ltd 

Palak toyed with names and wanted something starting with "R" but her mother insisted on one name starting with "P" but Palak was adamant. The birth certificates were finally generated with Rhea Noon and Piya Noon after Palak relented. Ritwik had already decided PR Healthcare Limited for his startup which fitted in beautifully with their names. 

Noon House Banter:

Taari distributed sweets at the dining table ; asking for blessings for her sister's great grand daughters who were just born. Everyone congratulated her and Mamta gave her a wad of notes for gifts while Rishabh and his wife gazed at each other

Ritwik reaches Noon House; Palak Comes Home

Ritwik drove out of Chandigarh in the wee hours of the morning since he had a long day ahead. He walked in with a song on his lips and a large box of sweets but was greeted with absolute silence; as if an earthquake had just struck. His father flung the paper at him wanting to know why he accepted 70 Crores from a VC when he could have given it to him to do what he wanted. The rest of the family wanted to know who were the loves of his life who he discovered the same day. Rishabh taunted that it must be 2 women or a divorcee and her daughter who would have trapped him. Mamta was silently watching and finally asked him to sign the divorce papers with Palak immediately. Ritwik was rooted to the spot and looked askance for some sign of support until his eyes met Aman's who nodded his love and respect. 

In the last few months since he had returned without Palak, Ritwik often felt alienated in Noon House; as if he did not belong here any longer; the mental distance between him and the others increasing everyday. He gathered himself; the faces of 2 vulnerable new born girls flashed in front of his eyes and he turned into Rhea and Piya's dad. He clearly explained that he would resign from Noon Biotech since PR Healthcare was his dream, his passion. He was available whenever they needed him but his priorities were sorted. He would not sign on any divorce document since he had found the loves of his life and when he wanted to take the next step in his life he will do what he has to do. 

Mamta's face fell Rishabh was elated and Vijay was a raging bull unable to take this decision from Ritwik. 

On the other hand, Palak arrived home with her daughters in Chandigarh. She looked around the room, the clothes on the bed and the crib and felt Ritwik's signature touch in everything. She took deep breaths and could feel him close to her skin. How much she wanted to be with Ritwik but then Mamta's words rang in her ears and she hugged her babies close. .....