Chapter 4: New Bonds, New Doubts

Delhi: Sharma Residence

Manjeet was very reluctant to travel to Chandigarh with Palak in this condition but on her insistence and happiness she agreed. They had booked a SUV so that they could manage the journey comfortably and wanted to leave at the dead of night so that no one saw them leave

Delhi: Noon House

Ritwik was missing from the dinner table as usual. Vijay was not at all happy about it and kept cursing Palak for ruining his son. Mamta asked everyone to have their food in her usual non chalant way and told them to give Ritwik some time and space. 

Ritwik asked Aman to leave him alone for a bit and headed to the shower. The cold water soothed his skin as tears rolled down his eyes; a part within him had died. He kept asking Why Ma..Why Ma ...and Why Palak? He remembered how his mother tried hard to make him mentally and physically strong and left one day. After years of leading a superficial existence, came Palak who loved him and protected him and then she hurt him where it hurt the most and left. Was it the collective curse of all those women whom he dated casually, or was it Ananya who he let go at the altar. A million questions clamored in his head with no clear answer. He stepped out of the shower and could feel the heaviness in his eyes. He slouched on his favorite chair lost in thought.

Delhi: Road

The car in which Palak and her parents were traveling suddenly developed a snag and the driver stepped out to check. After 10 minutes her father stepped out too to find out what happened. Palak dozed off on the seat with her hands on her stomach. The little ones were kicking excitedly.  Geeta was returning home from the airport after seeing off Vikrant and suddenly noticed Palak's dad standing beside a stationary car. She asked her driver to pull up and sprang out. Dressed in tracks and hoodies; she took quick steps towards the car to find Palak and her mom seated inside. 

Geeta ji...her mother exclaimed waking up Palak with a start. She hugged Palak and congratulated her and then looked at Manjeet. Meanwhile the driver informed that they would have to travel in a replacement car which would take an hour or two to pick them up. Geeta insisted that they come home with her and then travel the next day. After initial reluctance and cajoling from Geeta and her parents Palak agreed. 

Delhi : Raheja House

Geeta made Palak comfortable; served her some hot soup and asked her to rest. Palak turned around to thank her "Geeta ji , I can never thank you enough for what you are doing for me" . Geeta smiled and asked Palak not to be so formal and call her "ji" ...she was Ritwik's mother and by that virtue she would like it if she called her "Maa" as well.  There was no pressure or insistence just a request with love. Palak looked blank and very hesitantly called out "Maa" and Geeta hugged her tight. She had to take care of her kids and sort their lives. She quietly asked Palak why she did the drama with Vikrant; who pressurised her to do it? Seeing Palak well up and her grandchildren's health in mind; Geeta fell silent and stroked Palak to calm her down. 

Delhi: Noon House ; Ritwik's Room

At the same time Ritwik woke up from his slumber with a start mumbling "Maa" . It was not a night mare but why did he feel that she was stroking his hair and assuring him to set it all right. He pulled out his phone and found a message from Rohit on Whatsapp and then one on Linked In from his old Harvard Class fellow Tim Jones. He and Tim never met since they left university but they were a riot over the 2 years they spent in B-School bringing the roof down with their pranks and once they tried to hook up with the same girl too leading to a hilarious situation. But they did have a fallout at the end of 2 years over their divergent views on women.  Tim was coming to India on an assignment on behalf of the Venture Capital Firm he worked for and wanted to meet Ritwik.  He looked forward to Tim while the song Allah Waariyan played in head. He paced in his room and kept dialing Palak's number while everyone slept in Noon House only to find it out of reach.

Delhi : Raheja House  

Geeta and Manjeet discussed Palak and Ritwik over morning tea. Both of them concluded that it was more to do with the Noon Family than any misunderstanding between them. Geeta realised that Palak had not shared the Vicky drama with her parents and she did not want to hassle the already hyper Manjeet any further. 

Palak woke with severe morning sickness and could barely stand holding the wash basin while her stomach churned wildly. Where are you Ritwik  she screamed and both ladies left their cups of tea and stormed towards her. Manjeet calmed her down while Geeta rushed to get her ginger water and cold milk. Manjeet ranted about the Noons and Geeta was convinced that there was more to it than Vijay and Rishabh plotting and harassing Palak. 

Delhi: Noon House

Ritwik felt defeated; this house did not feel like his own any longer, the air was heavy and people were distant. He wanted to just leave and go search for Palak and know the truth. He wore his boxing gloves and practiced for a while when an idea struck. He quickly pulled out his phone and messaged someone to meet him. 

Delhi- Raheja House

Palak and her parents left for Chandigarh and Geeta got back to her desk. She pondered for a bit and went back to the wall where she had the entire Noon Family Tree plastered. She tore off Palak and her parents and circled around Vijay, Rishabh and Saachi. She stopped in front of Mamta's picture and circled that too. The fact that Palak was very silent made her wonder about Mamta's role; else Vijay,Rishabh and Saachi are known evil. Did they threaten her with death she wondered or were they black mailing her ? She quickly dialed a number and sought a meeting.