Finally Safe

*Kimberly’s POV*

As soon as we read the IPod, we all shared glances, and took off running. We had been running for over 5 blocks when it hit me. We had no clue where Alex used to live before she wet to the Foster Home.

“Guys. How are we gonna find her in time?!” Neil panted, seeming to read my mind.

At this we all came to an abrupt halt, causing us to run into each other, falling into a heap on the ground.

“What are we gonna do?! How are we gonna find her?!” Neil shouts, the panic evident in his voice.

“I don’t know! And it’s all our fault! If we didn't say those stupid things she never would’ve left!” I cried, kicking at the ground in anger and frustration at myself.

“We can’t lose her.” Reid added, and he looked determined.

“What are we going to do? Run around the whole city until we find her?! We don’t have that much time!” I snapped.

Reid was about to reply, probably as snarky as an answer I gave him when the IPod that I had forgotten I was holding suddenly beeped. I looked down at the cracked screen and gasped when I saw that some sort of GPS map was up, and the lights were blinking, directing us toward some unfamiliar building in a bad neighborhood. As soon as I saw it, I just knew that it was Alex’s birth mother’s house.

Without any explanation I shot up and started running toward where the GPS was leading me. From the huffs being me I knew that Reid and Neil were confused, but from the pounding of feet on the sidewalk I heard trailing behind me, I knew they followed me anyway.

We ran and ran. I was about to give up when I heard shouting and screaming. Reid, Neil and I all exchanged panicked looks, and we sped up our already fast paces.

I skidded to a halt when I saw something that I had only seen in my worst nightmares after Alex had told us about her past. Alex was crying, and her face was bruised and bloody. A haggard looking woman snarled at her, and I heard a sickening snapping sound as Ale let out a cry filled with pain that hurt my heart. The woman slapped her, and the resounding thud is what unfroze me.

I ran forward and just as the woman pulled back her fist to punch Alex again I swung my clenched fist, throwing her backwards and into the sidewalk.

I heard her screaming at me, but I just ignored it and dropped to my knees next to Alex’s shaking body. Suddenly she opened her eyes, her eyes full of pain and terror. She froze when she saw me.

“Kimberly what are you doing here? You’re going to ruin it!” She screeched.

I frowned, shocked at her outburst, though considering all that she’s been through, and the awful things that we said to her, I shouldn’t be.

“Ruin what?” I asked.

“Ruin me leaving, ruin me making things better for Y’all. You guy are the only people who have ever actually seemed to care about me, who made me feel loved ANd I can’t thank you enough for that. It’s because of that I know I have to do this. I have to go back to my life before. I can’t keep ruining things for you. I know I ruin everything7 I’m a part of, that’s just how I’ve always been. A story that I’m in can’t have a happy ending, and I can’t do that to you. I love you three so much, so I have to go back to being hurt and unloved. It’s where I belong.” She told me with no emotion in her voice, and I felt my heart shatter, knowing that she felt like this, that she believed this.

“Baby girl, listen to me. What we said, that was just anger. We were so worried about you! NEVER believe you don’t deserve to be loved, because you do. Everyone does, and we love you so much. I’m here because you are my little sister, and you always will be. You don’t ruin anything. You make it complete.” I told her, trying to hold back my own tears.

She looked up at me, with wonder in her eyes, as if she couldn’t believe it. And it was then I knew that the wish she had made was granted for a reason. It was for our sake as much as it was for hers.

Having this precious little girl in my life taught me that no matter what we shouldn’t judge other people based on appearance, circumstance, or anything, because you never know what they're going through.

The best thing you can do for people is be there. Sure it may be hard at first, trying to gain someone’s trust, and to love them despite everything, but if I’ve learned one thing, it’s that the best gift we can give people is love and acceptance. Because love has so much more power than hate.

Sure it may be hard, but building up trust and acceptance is like building a lego house, it may get difficult at times, but in the end it’s always worth it to see the beautiful masterpiece you’ve created because being loved truly does change people for the better.

With all of these thoughts in my mind, I held my hand out to Alex. She glanced at it for a second, as if expecting for me to disappear like a wisp of smoke. But she grinned as she took my hand, seeing that I was really here. I squeezed her hand, and that action seemed to convince her that everything I said was true because she relaxed immediately.

We walked forward, to where Reid and Neil were standing, talking to the police who were arresting the woman who had been Alex’s mother before she had made the wish. They must have called the police while Alex and I were talking.

Alex ran into Reid and Neil’s arms, genuinely smiling and laughing for what seemed like the first time. As we walked hand in hand back to the tour bus, Reid and I lifting Alex up between us, who giggled as we swung her, I couldn’t help but smile, excited to see what this new life would bring us.

I finally had a sister, and now as I looked at her, half asleep in my lap as we watched Frozen in the lounge, I knew I’d never let her go again.