Nightmares

*Kimberly’s POV*

“Did you like it, I mean you seemed kind of overwhelmed.” I asked Alex with a laugh after a while of just cleaning up in silence. She had seemed to enjoy herself, but at some points she looked so shy and overwhelmed.

She just  laughed and said “Well yeah I was. I’ve never had that before.”

I smiled a little and asked “A party?”

“No. People who actually remembered my birthday.” She said simply, as if making an offhand comment about the weather. As if it were no big deal that she had never had anyone in her life that.

I felt sadness, fury, and determination at this revelation, and I vowed to myself right then that I’d be there for Alex from now on, and that now she’d know what it felt like to have a family who loves her, because she deserves that. Don’t we all?

“Well I’m glad you had fun! Now why don’t you go get some sleep! Happy birthday baby girl! Goodnight!” I said, trying to keep my tone light, pulling her into a tight hug.

She grinned at me and waved sleepily as she trudged toward the door, and I pretended not to notice when she walked into the wall. I just shook my head with a smile, letting out a small laugh as I finished cleaning everything up from the party.

I couldn’t help but smile as I thought of all the day’s memories as I quickly changed into a pair of pajamas and sunk down into my bed. It warmed my heart to see how happy Alex seemed today. It made me think that maybe this wish, or whatever this was happened for a reason, and that we were supposed to come into each other’s lives.

I fell asleep with a smile on my face at that thought. I had peaceful dreams until they were shattered with what sounded suspiciously like a terrified scream. I immediately shot up and ran to the next room. I felt my heart break when I found Alex curled up in a ball under her covers, her hands tightly gripping her head as if she was protecting her face, and tears streamed out of her still closed eyes, soft screams coming.

I walked over and shook her shoulders and gently as I could. “Alex, wake up! Come on baby girl wake up! It’s just a dream!”

It took a few more minutes of coaxing before Alex’s eyes shot open, her terrified eyes darting everywhere. Finally she looked up at my face, but the look in her eyes made it seem like she saw someone else.

“Please don’t hurt me.” She whimpered.

I felt my eyes well up, my heart crushed. “Alex. It’s okay baby girl, it’s Kimberly, it’s me baby girl. I’m not going to hurt you.”

As soon as I said that, something in her eyes changed, and it was like she was really seeing me for the first time.

“Kimberly? I thought you were.. I.. They hurt you.. I couldn’t stop them.. then they were gonna..” She broke off, her body shaking with sobs.

I frowned, and opened my arms. “Come here baby girl.”

She complied, and immediately crawled into my lap, and I crushed her in a hug as she cried. Finally after a while she was able to stop crying, and I said “You should try to go back to sleep baby girl, we have rehearsals, and then a concert later.” I told her.

She nodded, and I got up to leave. I had just reached the door when a soft voice called out to me.

“Kimberly?”

“Yeah baby girl?” I replied, turning to find her sitting up on the bed.

“Can you… can you maybe stay with me. I.. I can’t take the nightmare again.” She stammered, dropping her embarrassed gaze.