8. A Birthday From Hell

No one could tell me I wasn't looking good for my eighteenth birthday

No one could tell me I wasn't looking good for my eighteenth birthday. It was the summer of 2002 and it just so happened that my birthday fell on one of the livest days of the week: a Saturday. I had my outfit picked out two days before occasionally going back in my closet to check and make sure I was still feeling it. But as I dressed in the orange tube top and jean mini skirt with orange and white bedazzling at the front and back pockets I knew I'd made the right choice.

My freshly done sew in with minimal leave out swung passed my shoulders the tips of the hair brushing my tailbone as I wore nothing less than 24-inches on my 5'4 frame. I brushed through my hair as I sat at my vanity with my legs crossed and my birthday mixtape that Michael made for me playing in the background.

A-Side
U Got It Bad x Usher
Lifetime x Maxwell
Get It On Tonite x Montell Jordan
That's What It's Made For x Usher
Ex-Factor x Lauryn Hill
You x Jesse Powell

I sat my brush down when my cellphone, that daddy had surprised me with during breakfast, rang next to the comb on my vanity top. I sighed, picking it up and balancing it between my ear and shoulder.

"Lauren this is your fifth call girl. I don't have free minutes until after 9... it's only 7:30," I chastised her as I turned to look at the clock on my nightstand.

"Trust me King can afford a little extra on the bill," Michael's voice said through the phone instead of Lauren's. I giggled and played with the strap of my sparkling silver heels tied around my ankle. "What you doing, girl?"

His Gary, Indiana, accent was still strong and full even though he had been growing up in Atlanta for the last ten years. He hadn't adopted the ATL swag just yet.

"I'm waiting on you, remember? Somebody is supposed to be picking me up and taking me and the girls to the movies..."

He humped and I laughed. "How the hell did I get stuck being the chauffeur?"

"You promised... two nights ago..." I replied thinking back and it was silent for a while before Michael was kissing his teeth.

"Can't ask a man for something you want when he's balls deep, Calliope."

"Even if you weren't, Michael, you'd still have done it if I did ask. Lauren's car is in the shop so our transportation to the movies is shot and everyone is going to be there tonight... So I really need you to take us. Are you going to stick around?" I paused and then rolled my eyes, "and is Caleb with you?"

"When are me and Caleb not together?"

I kissed my teeth and stopped playing with my strap and stood up to walk around the room, messing with things that were perfectly fine in its place. "Maybe y'all should date each other then," I mumbled, but Michael caught it.