Chapter 9

Lukas was driving over the speed limit on his way home. His knuckles had turned white during the drive, which was an indication to Melanie that he was gripping the steering wheel too hard. He was tense. He had been since he and Adam emerged from his office, and he hadn't had a single second to calm down.

With one hand on the wheel and the other stroking the stubble along his jaw, he absentmindedly continued down the highway, completely missing the exit to his house. Melanie turned back and longingly stared at it, but it was too far back, so she sat back in her seat.

"You forgot to exit," she whispered to him.

Melanie had insisted that she stay with him for a couple hours before he sent her home, and he reluctantly agreed. He initially didn't want her around in case the men that had trashed Midnight came back. But she was persistent, nonetheless, and he wanted her around for as long as possible.

Even though she was right next to him, serving as a reminder that he was taking her home with him, he continued driving.

"Lukas," she said, reaching for the hand off the wheel. "I think you need to pull over somewhere and take a deep breath."

He looked at her and blinked hard, as if he was just realizing that she was there with him. Then he smirked and entwined his fingers with hers. "What happened to calling me Teddy Bear?"

"I thought it was getting old," she said, forcing a smile. She emitted a deep sigh of relief when he began to relax.

"It'll never get old." He squeezed her hand and then exited ahead to take small roads back to his house. "Do you think you could spend the night with me?"

Her eyes grew wide. She wasn't surprised that he had asked. She was surprised that there was a blush on his beautiful, caramel face. "Of course, but is everything okay?"

"I don't want you worrying about it. You've got enough to worry about."

She frowned. "Tell me."

"Not that it's important, but I'm short on cash. I don't think I'll be able to repair Midnight, and if I don't, I'm out of business."

"How much do you need?"

"Don't worry about it, pretty girl."

"How much?" she repeated.

"Two grand, assuming Adam and I estimated correctly."

Melanie held her breath, and when he began to speak again, she exhaled. "We'll go to the bank tomorrow morning. I'll make a transfer to your account."

"No, Melanie."

"Lukas—"

"I'm not involving you in this."

"You said if I ever feel like I have no one, you'd be my no one. You're here for me. Why can't I be here for you?"

"Because you're too fucking good," he all but shouted at her. He pulled into an empty parking lot and cursed under his breath. He hadn't meant to lose his temper with her. "I don't want you to be here for me."

She flinched at the coldness in his voice and pulled her hand from his, but he grabbed it again.

He held her tighter. He was afraid she'd jump out the car and try to find another way home. She had never seen this side of him before, and he knew it frightened her. "I need you to be here, and you can't be if I bring you down with me."

"I have the money, Lukas. I make enough to help you with enough leftover to help myself."

"I won't be able to pay you back until Midnight opens up again. Who knows how long the repairs will take?"