Pastries, Problems and Poisonous Plans

Start from the beginning

"Found it," She pointed to the picture of a tall tiered cake, which apparently towered to the ceiling of the grand ballroom the masque was going to occur in. From the scale at the bottom of the page, I saw that the pastry was going to be a whopping 20 feet tall and who knows how heavy. It was covered in a deep blue frosting, accented with gold, the words at the bottom and largest tier, reading "Happy 16th Birthday, Prince Derek!" in that same gold icing. The gold itself acted as the decorations in the form of very royal patterns that differed from tier to tier. In other words, it was a cake made for royalty.

"Boring," the three of us said in unison. Gathering around the marble topped island, I laid out our plan of attack, "Okay girls, here's what we're going to do: Izzy, I need you to mix me up the best chocolate cake you can come up with, I'll bake it and Nikki, you're on icing duty; I need a buttermilk base and a ton of colours to paint with, as well as something to make a waterfall with. Think we can do that?"

The two girls gave me the blankest expressions ever, the ones, I knew from experience, that said, 'We haven't the slightest idea what you're talking about." Sighing, I took a page from the cook book and grabbed a piece of charcoal from a container on the counter. In a flurry, my hand raked across the page, sketching and smudging, in an effort to illustrate my idea. After a minute or two, I was done and threw my masterpiece before the two girls.

I got the sick pleasure of watching their emerald and sapphire eyes respectively widen in pure disbelief, "Kit.." They began together, Nikki was the one to exclaim, "This one is even more complicated than the first!" while Izzy smiled and cooed, "It's so pretty, I can't wait to start!" The cake in question was much smaller than its predecessor, only being made of three tiers; the bottom and largest was iced to imitate a gray cobblestone wall, the second, was to be a wall fountain, flowing over the cobblestones of the bottom tier, while the top tier was to be and emulation of the garden than we were kept captive in earlier; painted foliage and flowers to appear as the mossy hill in the center of the park. However, at the top, stood an icing minature of the very prince for whom the cake was for, wearing the crown he rarely donned, pouring a jug onto the next tier, adding to the wall fountain. The kicker of it was that this waterfall was to be a thin, syrupy icing, consisting of the rainbow of colours. I needed Nikki to do that, as liquids, especialy waterbased ones, were her area of expertise, as Izzy's was the air. The guests would be able to spoon some out to use on their fruit and desserts.

"Whether you like it or not girls, this is what we're doing. If we're already facing death, why not go out with a bang?" And at that, each sped off totheir own station and job with all intents on finishing this job. We had 6 and a half hours. We should be good.

* * *

"You don't actualy believe those brats will be able to pull it off?" The Count gave the questioner, Gilden, the head of the Prince's select bodyguards, an obvious glance. "It completely goes against the plan." They were alone in one of the hallways that lead away from the kitchen, making it understandable why he brought it up now.

The adisor smiled maliciously, "I have another baker at the ready. The Prince is going to eat some cake tonight, he shall also die. And if I can get those children to go along with him, that works out even better."

Laughing a sinister laugh, his accomplice mused, "Especially if you're going to blame the Catastrophe for it, Your MAJESTY." He took to calling the count that whenever they spoke of their nefarious deeds.

"Killing 5 annoying birds with one stone as well as copping the crown. Tonight really is going to be a magical night."

"And no one to foil our plan." As they disappeared down the next pathway, they failed to notice the slinky black body, slipping through the shadows, having heard everything they said.

* * *

Five hours later found the three of us in the midst of our work: Izzy had mixed up a mean batter of chocolate cake, enough to fill the three large pans of differing sizes, that baked perfectly in the oven, thanks to yours truly. Nikki had gone to the end and back with her icing mixes, various bowls of differently coloured toppings now stood on table, just waiting to be used. Especially, the largest one which held the syrup to be used on as the waterfall, however, it was a translucent gray, not the rainbow of colours I asked for.

"Nikki. What is this?"

"It's your waterfall, why do you ask?"

"Where are the colours?"

Rolling her blue eyes at me, the dark skinned girl waved a bored hand over the bowl; I watched in unabated awe as a dollop of the icing floated around her and shimmered reds, blues, yellows, greens, all the colours in the spectrum. "You asked, and I delivered." She answered with a sly smirk. "So how are we going to construct this?" She surveyed the baked filled and iced pastries.

I gestured towards the blue and yellow construct that I had built while the cakes had baked. It was a typical stand with 4 support beams and a long tube extending through the center from crystal clear bowl bowl that was supposed to hold the remains water fall and send it back to the top of the cake through said tube. "Izzy, would you do the honours?" Smiling sweetly, my youngest sibling lifted her flute to her lips and played a soft melody. Nikki and I watched as the three cakes floated from their positions in order of size to hover over the tube. The two of us then made sure to center each cake carefully down the tube, until the cake looked somewhat like the one I had drawn. With the exception of the working icing fountain. I poured the waterfall syrup into its container and snapped my fingers. We watched in suspense as it flowed up the tube. Soon, it spilled from the Derek minature's pitcher down to the second tier, the wall fountain beginning to run down and unto the bottom and soon back where it started.

I turned to the girls, awaiting the three words that I rightfully deserved. "Never doubt Kit." they droned, still in awe at the masterpiece we had created, I glanced at the sun, right before 7 as well.

The door unlocked and creaked open, the Count and his posse of guards strolled in, obviously too into their own pointless existence to notice the attention-grabbing pastry in the center of the room, "-ready for the walk to the gallows, brats?" He begun, laughing at his own 'joke' Then he saw the cake and his jaw dropped as did the jaws of the guards that laughed with him.

"Not yet, but I am ready to head to my room and not come out until tomorrow." Plunging one hand into my slacks pocket, I lead the girls past them and used the other hand to offer a dismissive wave. "Let your Prince know that I wasted the day because of him." With that, we headed back to our rooms. Though as we made our way down the hall, my stomach grumbled something awful. Ugh, I can't believe I forgot to eat something WHILE surrounded by all that food.

"Hey girls, head back by yourself. I'm gonna get something to eat."

Jogging back to the door, I was about to burst through the door, when I heard something that sent an unwanted chill running down my spine, "...and with this, cheers to the late Prince," followed by some maniacal laughter. Curiosity did kill the cat, might as well give into it. I cracked the door open only to find the Count pouring a suspicious liquid into my rainbow waterfall. MY rainbow waterfall. And from the looks of things, that wasn't going to make it sweeter. He's poisoned it, the thought swam into my head. I looked to the feline that had silently stood beside me before whispering to her, "He's going to try and kill him, isn't he?" She nodded. I almost groaned, forgetting that I was spying on some pretty dangerous figures.

Hearing footfalls comingto the door, I quickly grabbed Chaos and vaulted out the window sill, perching right underneath it. "It's no one." A voice told the others before I heard the slam of a door.

I let out a breath I was holding, staring at the golden-eyed feline in my arms, "I really didn't want to go to that party." She replied with a knowing meow.