Chapter Two - It's a School Day

"What should we do with him?" a female voice asked.

"Feed him to the rats," answered a masculine voice.

"Nah," another voice disagreed. "The rats wouldn't like the taste."

Billy sat up and saw Darla, Eugene, and Pedro looking down at him. 

He groaned, "Get off me."

Eugene stood up suddenly and Pedro stepped back.

"What did you just say to me?" demanded Eugene.

"I said, get off!" Billy repeated. He was fed up with this. They were treating him like an alien.

Eugene clinched his fist and stepped forward when Mrs. Vasquez poked her head in.

"Everyone up!" she said. "It's a school day!"

As if a new home wasn't enough, Billy also had to attend a new school. Thankfully though, the thought of school made Eugene slouch off to the other side of the room.

Billy showered briefly and changed clothes, pulling on some sweatpants and a fresh t-shirt. Per request of Mrs. Vasquez, Billy put the home phone number of his new home into his cell phone. Mrs. Vasquez wasn't however, able to convince Billy to come with the rest of the foster kids in the car. Billy had insisted kindly that she let him walk. He liked walking, the school wasn't too far, and not being in the car with Eugene or the other older kids would be much preferred. So, Billy left earlier than everyone else and started his walk to school.

He knew his way around the city, and with his earbuds in, the walk would be the most relaxing and fun thing he did all day.

--

One walk later, Billy arrived at his new school. He had seen this school before, it was the main public school in the county, but he had mostly attended private schools in the past. He much preferred public schools, you were singled out less.

And sure enough, after receiving his schedule from his principle and walking into his first period, which was English, the teacher, a plump Ms. Greenwell, he was motioned to his seat, no questions asked. Billy was thankful for this, in the private schools he was told to state his name and other icebreakers in front of the class. Billy's seat was in the back, which was cool with him, it attracted less attention. Some guy stuck his foot out on Billy's way to the back, and Billy merely stepped over it. He was used to first days. Billy didn't know anyone except for Mary Bromfield, who smiled faintly at Billy when he had walked in a couple minutes late from the principal's office, but she said nothing.

Billy sat quietly through his classes, a lesson about inferences in English and the handing out of To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee, the book they would be reading. He almost fell asleep in the class that followed, Biology, but thoroughly enjoyed third period, Pre-Calculus. Math was the least boring of all the subjects. P.E. wasn't bad, all he did was sit in the bleachers while locks were handed out for the locker rooms. And then the day was over. Only four classes, not bad. Billy was used to more than that, even if the classes did feel like they lasted forever.

And now for the walk back home. Mrs. Vasquez would be expecting him to ride with them home in the car, Billy hadn't felt like convincing her to let him walk home too. But she would understand, she seemed nice enough, so Billy stuffed his earbuds back in, press place on his iPhone, and began to jog back to his new home.

Risin' up, back on the street
Did my time, took my chances
Went the distance, now I'm back on my feet
Just a man and his will to survive

Billy jogged around the campus for awhile, getting a feel for where everything was. The gym building was to the left of the main building, and if you continued there were tracks, fields, and outdoor courts. It was a big campus. Billy was jogging back to the main building when he saw the guy who had tried to trip him huddled over a smaller kid. A crowd of the kids still remaining at the school were starting to gather around them. Billy broke through the crowd.

So many times, it happens too fast
You trade your passion for glory
Don't lose your grip on the dreams of the past
You must fight just to keep them alive

"Hey," Billy yelled at the guy, who was punching the smaller kid, "pick on someone your own size!" A real original line, but it was all Billy could think of to say.

"Ah, it's the new kid, huh? What's your name?"

"Billy Batson," replied Billy.

"I'm Jake," the guy said. "And around here, I do as I please. So scram!"

Jake turned back around, but Billy reached out and grabbed him by the shoulder. Jack whipped around and punched Billy in the stomach.

It's the eye of the tiger, it's the thrill of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
And he's watchin' us all with the eye of the tiger

Billy reeled back, receiving more punches. Trying to gather his breath, he reached behind himself and grabbed at the air. Finally, his hand grabbed something. A tennis racket handle. Billy grabbed the handle and pulled, still getting punched, now harder. 

Face to face, out in the heat
Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry
They stack the odds 'till we take to the street
For the kill with the skill to survive

Billy swung the tennis racket and hit the guy punching him in the face with it. Jake fell to the ground, grabbing at his face, and Billy took off, sprinting towards his new home. He hated what he did to that Jake guy, but he'd much rather Jake get hurt than the kid that had been getting punched before Billy showed up. Billy's stomach hurt a ton, but he ignored it. 

It's the eye of the tiger, it's the dream of the fight
Risin' up to the challenge of our rival
And the last known survivor stalks his prey in the night
And he's watchin' us all with the eye of the tiger

Oddly enough, his music was still playing. And he had finally stopped a bully. Not the worst first day Billy had ever experienced.

Music: Eye Of The Tiger by Survivor