EIGHT

"Welcome Mrs Opeyemi , wow you came with your whole family " Mrs Diekola Mary , tobi's mother said as she opened the door for the visitors .

"Yes " Opeyemi smiled sadly .

"Is your husband around ?" Femi asked .

"Yes off course , I'll go call him while you wait in the sitting room" Diekola replied .

They all waited in the parlour as she had suggested , seyi felt stupid coming here with her parents and some of her father's elderly men . Her father didn't speak to me her that morning his face was tight throughout the ride .

****
"To what do I owe this pleasant visit ?" Mr alake said walking inside with his walking stick .

They all stood up and exchanged greetings " You may all sit" he said as his wife joined him in the chair .

"So? What brings you here ?" He said and leaned back in his chair .

Femi , Seyi's father was so embarrassed to bring up the topic why they were here , he looked at his daughter with so much regret , he was ready to be ashamed .

"My daughter is pregnant and your son is responsible for it " he said .

The man didn't take him serious he hissed , his wife's face changed ,They didn't feel welcomed anymore .

"Femi " alake chuckled " I thought you were one of the most respected elders in this community? Your daughter gets pregnant and you Blame it on my son ?"he said.

Femi said nothing ,he bowed his head in shame. "Am not blaming anything on your son , she said he got her pregnant and here to tell you to marry her into this family ! I don't want any Bastard grandchild?" He roared angrily .

" She said he got her pregnant??? Look we've gotten a lot of all this stupid accusation. We know we're wealthy and every father wants their daughter to be married into this family ....."Diekola said but got interrupted by Opeyemi .

"Excuse me?" Opeyemi said angrily .

"Excuse you !! You raised a whore and she got pregnant and you try to put the Blame on my son! Is that how badly you want to taste my money !" Diekola said rudely .

Opeyemi's mouth was wide with shame , she had never being this insulted in her entire life , tears started dropping for Seyi's eyes as she looked to the floor .

"We didn't come here to get insulted " one of the relatives said "and we won't tolerate such ".

"And we don't tolerate people who come in here to claim my son as the father of a bastard " Diekola said .

Seyi gasped and tears continued dropping her sister comforted her rubbing her back .

"Am not after your money Diekola ! And I would never be ! You were such a poor church rat when you were young and you finally married a rich man and got wealthy and you have the guts to insult me" Opeyemi said .

"Well I wasn't stupid enough to be poor twice , you never get tired of poverty and that's why your still battling with such "Diekola said with disgust .

"This matter isn't about poverty " Seyi's father spoke up "we didn't come here to discuss our financial status with you ! "

"Oh well it is , let me rephrase this story for you . Your daughter got pregnant and you decided to put the blame on my son so that he would marry her and finally you and your family will taste the Alake family's wealth " Alake said .

"That's not true !" Seyi cried and jumped up .

"Oh so the pregnant child can speak " Alake chuckled and his wife did the same .

They were clearly mocking them . " Tobi is the father of my baby , he's my boyfriend " she said as tears dropped from her eyes.

Tobi's parents started laughing again , they seemed to find everything her family said funny, they were mocking them and she knew it , she felt embarrassed to be bring her parents here and have them get insulted .

"Boyfriend ? Look my dear my son doesn't involve himself in relationships with girls like you and if you were really his girlfriend he would have introduced you to me , and since I've never seen you before its a lie " Diekola said .

"Am not lying " she cried .

"Then my son has to confirm this before we take a bastard son into my household" Alake said .

As if on cue , Tobi walked into the house with his bag he didn't notice Seyi's family at first but as he was about to walk pass them his mother called him .

"Tobi " she called .

"Ekaro ma ekaro sir " he greeted his parents then turned to greet the visitors but paused when he saw seyi , then he immediately averted his eyes and acted like he doesn't know her .

" my son , This girl standing there do you know her " his father pointed at seyi .

He looked at her and gulped "No sir , please who is she ?" He asked with an innocent look on his face .

His mother jumped up in triumph and laughed loudly , his father looked at the floor and shook his head .

"Tobi!" Seyi lamented and put her hands on her head and wept "Tobi ! Its me oh ! What do you mean by you don't know me !" She cried .

"My son doesn't know you wayward child !" Diekola shouted .

"Oniranu !" She cursed .

" don't you dare call my daughter such " Opeyemi shouted .

"Why ? Isn't that what she is?" Diekola said .

" Iya mi . what's going on here ? Who are this people you are quarrelling with " Tobi asked .

Seyi couldn't believe what was happening , so he was really denying her , after everything she has done for him, she thought he loved her .

"Well , my son that lady and her family came here claiming you got their daughter pregnant , Now tell me how would you get her pregnant when you don't even know her " alake said .

"Ahh its a lie , I don't know this girl , I've never ever seen her in my entire life ." Tobi said .

Seyi's father turned and glared at her , he felt so embarrassed was this really his daughter ? The only child he said would make him proud ? Look at the type of shame she had brought to his family .

He shook his head and looked at alake who had a mischievous look on his face , he and the man we're never friends but they only met at meetings , he knew alake was a pompous man but he also knew they weren't mates he was way older than alake and he had decided to keep to himself and talk to people his own mates .

And now his daughter has brought them back to the one family he dreaded so much . and now they we're mocking them , did she not know who got her pregnant? He was so angry .

Seyi sobbed and rushed to Tobi , she fell to the floor and begged him "Tobi ! Don't do this to me! Don't do this ! You said you loved me! Tobi ! Tobi! Tobi! " she cried at his feet .

Tobi moved away From her "I don't know her I swear ! Iyami hope you know she's lying ! I didn't get any girl pregnant !" He said and gave his parents a fake look .

" You have done enough ! " alake said "Femi assemble your family and leave ! I can't believe you of all people would do this "alake said proudly .

"Tobi ! Tobi! Tobi! " seyi wailed and cried at his feet pulling legs .

Bisi rushed to her sister and pulled her up , "Tobi ! Tobi! Tobi! You would regret it if you really got her pregnant ! Time will tell " femi said and walked out with his entire family , including seyi who was still being dragged by her sister out of the alake home