"Lukas—"

She couldn't finish her sentence because he had already hung up, disconnecting the call. She stared at the screen for a long moment and then reluctantly put her phone down. She prayed to whoever would listen that he was alright.

She quickly redressed herself and made her way out of the suite in search of Christopher. They crew was no longer on the beach, so she headed in the direction of Vero's suite. She knocked a few times, and when Vero appeared in front of her, she released a sigh of relief.

"Is there any way off this island so I can get back home?"

Vero raised a brow at her. "Where's Chris?"

"I don't know, but my friend's in trouble, and I need to go home," she explained. She was breathless by the time she finished her sentence. "Do you know how I can do that?"

Vero nodded her head and pulled Melanie inside. "I'm doing this because I genuinely think you're a great girl who's in need of help. I'll call the pilot, but you can only go if he says so."

"Thank you," she said to Vero.

Vero typed a text on her phone and waited for a response. When it pinged, she gave Melanie a hopeful smile. "We have to meet him on the landing pad. He said you can leave right now."

"Can you take me?"

"I might as well go, right? I'm not even needed here." Vero grabbed the small bag of her personal belongings and took the lead. "You're not going to tell Chris?"

"I'll have to call him. He's still filming."

"They finished filming hours ago."

Melanie faltered in step, but she kept moving. "Mateo said it was taking longer than expected."

"That man is Chris' uncle, Mel. He works hard to make sure Chris does what he's supposed to, and he also lies for him."

Once the two women reached the landing pad, a man emerged and took Vero's bag from her. He nodded to them but didn't speak as he helped them on.

"So, where is he then?" she asked Vero.

Vero shrugged her shoulders and tightened her safety straps. "He disappears a lot. There's always more to do once filming is over, but some of the crew members just gave up on finding him. He does whatever he wants." She pointed to the headphones hanging above Melanie and then grabbed her own on her side. "Remember to put those on. It'll be awhile before we get back."

"