Chapter 28

Chapter 28

I use to work for my cousin Mario until that bastard fired me and then I was left jobless with bills to pay. Alissa stepped up and offered me a job, I never thought I’d miss working for my no good cousin.

When I worked for him there were no threats on my life, no kidnapping, no danger. Now I found myself wrapped up in it and my father was lying knocked out on the floor. His pulse was good, I rushed and called 911 and in minutes I heard an ambulance but he still wasn’t awake.

I left him on the floor, moving him sounded like a bad idea. I ran out of the room and searched the rest of the rooms. Mom was gone and I knew it wasn’t good because her car was in the driveway. The signs were glaring at me, something was wrong and it was dangerous.

I was scared and shaking as I watched the ambulance drive away with my father. I couldn’t go with him because the cops wanted to question me and I didn’t have it in me to argue the situation. I turned back toward the house when I felt a hand on my shoulder, it was Zack. I wrapped my arms around him. “It’s ok.” He softly said as he wrapped his arms tight around me as comfort I desperately needed.

“I don’t know what happened. I came to talk to mom and now everything makes no damn sense.” I said as I fought the urge to cry. Before everything made a little sense, I had an idea of what was going on between my mother and Joey and the mess they found themselves in. Now I had no idea why my mom was gone, what happened to her or if she was even still alive.

“Sam, who would want to take your mother?”

I pulled away and looked at him. “I don’t know, I swear. You know everything with Elena. Mom and Joey have been talking and it seems working together to figure it all out but they haven’t told me anything because they’re scared I’ll get too involved.”

“Ok,” Zack said and cupped the right side of my face. “I’m gonna go see what they’ve come up with. I’ll be back.” He said before walking over to the porch where a group of cops stood.

I stood there and I felt so worthless and scared, I watched the cops and I realized they couldn’t help me or my mother. I stood steps away from my car, I got in and drove away. I don’t know if anyone noticed and I didn’t really care. I pulled out my cell phone and began dialing. “We have to talk and it’s very important so don’t think about blowing me off. Meet me at the same gas station next to my apartment.” I didn’t give him a chance to stay anything as I pocketed the phone and prayed I wouldn’t regret my choice.

I arrived first, in minutes I saw the black SUV pull up beside me on the side of the rode, I got out and joined him. “Do you know?”

“Know what?” Joey asked.

I sighed. “When I left you I went home to ask mom what you wouldn’t tell me. When I got there, her car was in the driveway so I headed inside and found my father knocked out on the floor. She’s gone.” As I explained what happened it was clear Joey didn’t know anything about it either by the look of surprise and quick anger on his features.

“We have to get out of here.” Joey drove away from the gas station.

“Wanna start talking now?” I was so angry and I wasn’t in the mood for any games, I wasn’t in the mood for much I realized with my mother’s life hanging in the balance. “Who would have my mother Joey?”

“Remember Frances Giovanni?” I nodded. “His family has been involved in this from the start, that’s why he couldn’t tell me anything when we met at the club. His older brother knew my father and your mother back when they were together. He also knows Bernard Costa.” Joey explained. I knew with everything much more serious than me asking questions he’d finally tell me what was happening. I knew it was my mother’s wish to keep me in the dark but now her life was on the line, promises had to be broken and Joey knew it.

“Elena’s Uncle Bernard?”

“Yeah. I think Giovanni set up Elena’s death then gave her to Bernard’s sister because she couldn’t have children.”

“But why do that to Art?”

“They knew each other but that doesn’t mean they were friends. I got the feeling there was bad blood between Art, Linda, and Nick Giovanni but your mother didn’t want to talk about it, she only confirmed I was right. That’s what we were talking about today.” 

Now all the pieces began to fit the puzzle. “Is Nick Giovanni in town?” I began to bet he knew what happened to my mother if he didn’t have her himself.

“He came for Frances funeral but he lives out of town.”

“If this all has to do with Nick then who killed Frances?” Great I was feeling confused again.

“I don’t know and I don’t think that has anything to do with this. Frances was scum anyone could’ve killed him just because.”  Joey explained.

I pulled my pony tail out which was a mess and raked back my hair. “Where are we going?” I asked as I retied up my hair.

“To talk to Elena. She might know more than she believes.”

I nodded and sat back in the seat. I felt a little better that I had a few answers but there was still a question I wanted his opinion on. “Do you think she’s still alive?” but Joey stayed silent with his eyes more focused on the rode than they needed to be. “You’re father was killed over this, it’s the secret he spoke about in the note but now the secret’s out so maybe he won’t kill her. Or maybe he will because he’s pissed—”

Joey grabbed my hand as we pulled up to a red light. “We’ll find her.”

I pulled my hand away and nodded. I couldn’t handle him touching me right now. “But what if we’re too late?”

“How about you don’t ask so many questions this time and just trust me?”

“You really know how to make someone feel better.”

“It’s not my job to make you feel better, it’s my job to figure this mess out and end it before anyone gets hurt. That’s all.” The light turned green and he looked away from me.

“If something happens to my mother because you pissed off the wrong person, I want you to know I will hate you for the rest of my life.”