Chapter 10

Chapter 10

Joey took a moment to let absorb this new information before pulling away from the curve and back into traffic. “Where are we going?” I asked, hoping maybe he was still in a sharing mood and would tell me what the hell I was getting involved in.

“Out of town.”

I looked out the window but it was too dark to see anything, now I was growing restless with the unknown and any silence made it worse. “De Luca that’s Italian right?”

“Yes, my dad was born and raised in Italy and as a teen he came to America.” He had no problem answering this. “My mother was part Puerto Rican and part Greek but born in America.”

“That’s a hell of a mix. My mom is full Dominican and my dad’s a full Puerto Rican.”

Joey looked at me. “Family dinners must be fun at your place.”

I laughed. “Yeah always fun.” Dominicans and Puerto Rican were both Spanish but very different, all Hispanic races were. “We had dinner today with the Myers. My grandmother suggested Zack and I were sleeping together and Alissa my sister confirmed it. I expected a different reaction for my mother, something more dramatic. But she had just found out about your father and she was acting weird, that’s why I asked if you knew her name.” I recapped.

Joey smiled. “That would’ve been fun to see.”

“Yeah if it wasn’t happening to you. That was the most stressful time I’ve had in awhile. My sister’s wedding was better. Do you have any brothers or sisters?” I asked.

“No.”

I began to think, Art De Luca had an empire even after going to prison he was still known and his name came up around businesses. If Joey was his only child, Art’s only living family, then he would take over right? But I couldn’t ask him that because I knew for a fact he wouldn’t answer. I was shocked he answered any of my other questions so I wouldn’t push my luck.

I kept pulling down my skirt; I was starting to hate this thing. “What do you hope to get out of tonight?”

Joey gave me a sideways glance. “From you?”

I felt my heart jump again. Around Joey it jumped once and it hurt pretty painfully, if I kept helping him it might kill me. “From this meeting you’re headed to.” I cleared up.

“Just some answers.”

“You’re drugging me along so I’ll hear those answers.”

“I know but this time I’ll let it slide.” Joey said.

“Why don’t you just tell me everything, I could help you know.”

“I’m sure you could but it’s safer you don’t know anything.”

“Safer for me or you?” I snapped, I was getting sick of the half ass answers and the let me use you but you don’t have the right to know anything crap.  

“Meaning?” Joey asked glancing at me again.

“Meaning your father was killed and you were shot, this is some pretty dangerous stuff with dangerous people---”

“Exactly.”

“---but at the same time it’s dangerous for you because I might find something out about you, something illegal and I’m dating a cop.” I pointed out. I could make a long list of all the reasons I shouldn’t be doing this; helping Joey out but I just felt like I had to.

Joey stopped at a red light and looked at me. “Would you turn me in?”

“Maybe, maybe not.”