“Oh, I got it,” he said.

            Trying to hide my embarrassment, I turned back to my dresser, nearly scrambling to find something to idle myself.

            I felt hands on my waist and turned my head, my nose almost coming into contact with Jay’s. “Hello,” he said directly into my ear. I could feel his breath on my skin, chills immediately springing up. I turned around to face him.

            “Hello,” I parroted. His hands moved from my waist to my hands, holding them to his chest. He leaned down, placing his forehead on mine. He didn’t move a muscle, just stared me in the eyes, trying to read me. When he finally did move, he pecked me on the cheek, pulling me in for a hug.

            “Thank you,” he spoke into my neck.

            “It’s only a camping trip,” I told him. Why was he being weird?

            “That’s not what I’m thanking you for.”

            “Being enigmatic does not suit you,” I purred. That earned me a small laugh and head shaking from him.

            “You should get some rest,” he advised. “Goodnight.”

            And he left. Like he had never been in here. Still, I heeded his advice, leaving my shower for tomorrow morning.

            ***

            My, how I hate the sound of my alarm. And it’s not like I can just pound the snooze; that would break the screen.

            It’s seven AM. I have not been awake at this un-Godly hour since high school. Even my lectures in college didn’t start until nine. I can’t complain much, though, seeing as if I would have taken a shower last night instead of leaving it for today, I could have slept until eight.

            The first thing I did when I went to the bathroom was splash my face with cold water. I couldn’t wake myself up any other way. Well, I guess I could, but I hate coffee and I need a shower anyway, so...

            There was knocking on my front door. At seven. In the morning.

            He could not be serious. I just got undressed for my shower. I threw on my robe and shot down the stairs, silently cursing him. It is 7:15. Why is he up? And, more importantly, why is he here?

            I opened the door to reveal Jay smiling at me.

            “Good morning,” he voiced.

            “It’s seven-fifteen.”

            “Yeah,” he said, looking at my garb for the first time. “Oh, were you about to get in the shower? I can come back,” he offered.

            “No, it’s fine,” I assured him. “You can sit down here or something and I’ll be in the shower. You know where the food is if you get hungry,” I said, backing up the stairs.

            He smiled, walking into the living room.

            ***

            I threw on the sports bra I had in the bathroom, putting on a tank top and flannel shirt over it, paired with jean shorts that came down to mid-thigh on me, or knees on anyone else. I walked out into my room, immediately grateful that I did bring my clothes into the bathroom with me.