Story 2 • Capital Letters

About Joseph.

Joseph Dunn is the official owner and manager of Dunn House Safety. His father, David Dunn, was believed to have a delusional grandeur of being a superhero. Yet, to Joseph, his father was a real hero. In addition to his loss, his mother passed away when he was younger. Joseph is a fine-looking man whose smile is sweet and demeanor is excellent. I like watching his fingers dancing on his keyboard, typing all day and the sound they produce is music to my ears. I like it when he smiles, when he laughs, when he reaches my hand and keeps it warm. I like the look on his face when he is serious and focused. He is a kind guy and most importantly, he understands what it’s like to be in pain and not having anyone to go, no shoulder to cry on. We look after each other... because the very thought of losing another person we care about is just too much to bear. That is Joseph, my best friend.

***

After looking at my reflection in the mirror once again, convincing myself that my appearance was good eoungh, I climbed down the stairs in rush and left my home. When my eyes caught Joseph, I ran to him. He spread his arms and welcome me with a warm hug.

“Took more time for you to show up today.” Joseph left a kiss on my forehead.

“It’s a special day.” I replied with a smile.

Being a gentleman, as always, Joseph opened the car door for me. I mouthed thank you. We were going to a place where my pure, wholesome happiness awaited. I looked out of the window nervously, didn’t know what I was looking at. I bit my lower lip to hold me back from screaming.

“Are you excited?”

“Yes!” I screamed eventually.

“Chill, Case.” Joseph chuckled.

“How do I look?”

“Pretty as always. Stunning. Amazing. Ugh, good adjectives aren’t even enough to describe you.” He smiled, tossed his hands in the air.

“Thank you!”

***

“Mr. Dunn and Ms. Cooke, please report to the office.” Said the voice from a speaker.

I searched for confidence in Joseph’s eyes. It only took a glance of his eyes to regain it, to know that I am not alone in this. I curved my lips into a smile, then intertwined my hand to his. we stood up from our seats and came into the room we were directed to.

“How are you two?”

“We are well.”

“That’s pleasant to hear.” She, the lady who later introduced herself as a new worker named Hellen, smiled.

Everyone had their miracle. I had one; it happened when I thought he was leaving me, when blood streamed down his body, caused by a bullet which never should have been fired. It was the day when he rested on my lap and believed, not only in me, but also in himself. Dying, he was saved by an emergency call done by Joseph. I couldn’t express how thankful I was for Joseph, how much I owe him. Because of him, Kevin was still alive and so were his other personalities.

After being looked after in the hospital, he was taken to a facility where he was recovering. I and Joseph visited him once a week. Every week I got to see him playing chess against Joseph. I could listen to him telling me how much better he had been and how much he missed me. He told me once that he was so proud of me for evolving from an invisible girl to a strong and brave one. He said I was the first hope he had had in years, the first one to bring Kevin back in the light after being knocked out so often by the horde. And, he was my everything. I could not hide how happy I was when I heard he could go home. After weeks in years of recovery, he was ‘healthy’ enough to leave this facility. He finally could live his life again, to try again. Today was the day of his release.

“Is there something you want me to tell him so he can prepare himself?”

“No, everything is ready, Hellen.” Joseph answered.

“Okay, I’m bringing him here.” She said, smiling to us.

Tears flooded my eyes and slowly rolled down my cheeks. It was so quiet that when I inhaled, it sounded like the whole building was breaking down. There was another thing I liked about Joseph: he never asked me to stop myself from crying. He did not judge. He was just there, being the strong one so when I needed someone to cling onto, he was near.

“I am so happy, Joseph! I can’t believe it!” I shouted.

“Shall we stand up to welcome him?” He asked.

“Yeah, sure.”

After a moment of silence, I asked him, “How do I look?”

He squinted his eyes, observed me from head to toes, then said, “A little not okay for Dennis... your shirt is a little crumpled. Pleasant for Miss. Patricia. Always good for Hedwig. Dangerous for the beast and... perfect for Kevin.”

I smiled.

***

Every step he took would bring him closer to me. The thought of it started up the abnormal beating of my heart, faster and faster, pounding irregularly. I could picture him walking alongside Hellen with his bright, hopeful eyes and happy smile. It felt as though I was a groom waiting for his bride to get to the end of the aisle where they would unite.

When the door was pushed open, I saw him standing there and Hellen slowly let him loose. I took a glance of Joseph who froze and witnessed what I did too. I waited for Kevin to speak, so I knew to whom I would be talking.

“Hi.” And it was Kevin.

“Oh, my! This is one of my happiest days! Welcome back, Kevin!” Joseph ran to him. They shared a cozy embrace, then smiled to each other. Joseph’s rejoice was reflected in his eyes.

I was standing still there. I gave him a genuine smile then those eyes of his lightened up. He curved his lips into a sweet smile, the one I usually recognized ar Miss. Patricia’s. However, I knew it was still Kevin, he was just shy. He could see me more often now, instead of thirty minutes per week. He took a step closer to me, but I stopped him.

“Wait there.”

I pulled out a large paper I made to communicate with him from my tote bag. The words on it were written in capital letters and decorated with hand-drawn sunflowers. To caught his attention, I called his full name, Kevin Wendell Crumb, then spread the paper in front of him.

WILL YOU STAY IN THE LIGHT WITH ME... FOR AS LONG AS WE CAN MANAGE?
(Though I’d say:  forever.)

“Yes! Yes!” He hurriedly came to me and locked me in his arms. After observing my face and caressing my hair, his lips were on mine, leaving me a gentle kiss.

I asked, “Wouldn't Hedwig be mad?”

He laughed, “How I wish he could completely be gone, so you could be mine only.”

While gazing into my eyes, he told me, “Thank you for believing in me. I love you, always.”