Story 5 • A Date

"Why are you so excited?" Joseph threw his comic book aside, his eyes followed Casey's every move. He frowned.

"Ugh, you won't believe it! Kevin asked me out!" Casey couldn't hide her idiotic smile and her eyes glistened in joy, they seemed to travel through time and space just to see the right depiction of what love really was, then thoughts wandered around in dreamland.

"A date?"

"Yes!" She almost shouted.

"Was it really Kevin or Dennis or Barry or Mr. Pitchard or Samuel or Luke or Goddard or... Hedwig?"

"Shut up, will you? It was Kevin."

"Just checking. I don't wanna see you cry after hanging out with a wrong personality... again." He teased.

"Be gone, Joseph!" She threw a pillow to him. His laughter soon filled her room.

***

There was something she really liked about going on a date with Kevin. Like her, he wanted to spend time together, alone, just the two of them and far from the crowd. He kept everything simple, yet special. Didn't come with a car, Kevin took a night stroll with her. Side by side, hands intertwined. When the moonlight fell on them, the world turned quiet as though they were two scluptures showered by magic to come alive and love.

"I have prepared something for us at the central park."

"It must be dark there."

He shook his head, "No."

Casey found herself at awe when her eyes catched a beautiful view before her. With limited space he used came wonderful arrangements. On the grassy ground was spread a cloth on which their favorite snacks were lying down. Candles gave them dim lighting that boosted the level of romance.

Kevin invited her to sit next to him or even lie down if she desired to, so that they could watch the sky. Casey happily accepted.

"Casey." He called.

"Yes?"

"Thank you for taking a chance on me. I know it isn't easy, but I hope to be worth it." Kevin whispered, quoting Imagine Dragons' Next to Me.

"With broken words I've tried to say, honey don't you be afraid. If we got nothing, we got us." She replied with One Republic's Something I Need.

They laughed.

***

"You look stunning." Kevin whispered. Casey's cheeks turned red and lips forming a wide smile. Standing face to face, their eyes locked on each other. His blue eyes shined brightly and they smiled to her.

While a song by Richard Mark, Right Here Waiting, playing from the player he brought, the gap between them went away, closer and closer to each other. Kevin then embraced her in his arms and she wrapped him closer, hands stayed on his back. She rested herself on his chest, heard the music that for her was the best, without which she knew everything couldn't be the same, without which her life would lose its source of happiness. For his heartbeat was something he promised, that for as long as it continued, so would their love. Eyes closed, no words were spoken, just the music and the heartbeat, the warmth and the night they shared.

"Stay in the light with me." She pleaded.

"Stay with you." He replied. "I love you."

She smiled before saying, "I love you more."

***

Bonus! An aesthetic portraying Casey Cooke and Kevin Wendell Crumb having an ending we and they deserve!😂 I posted it a few weeks ago on my tumblr (@.mostlyfaniel) which I deactivated.🙄