Story 9 • They Won

They were a simple couple, but incredibly complex individuals. They did have many things in common, but they also had their differences. Most of the time, people out there made love look so far from reality, so unreachable. They made love the antagonist against themselves because they believed it washed away their individuality. The truth was: love was, had been, and always shall be near and everywhere. It was, in fact, a catalyst to a life full of happiness, a life shared with someone you could trust. It was more of a matter whether people would take the chance, would pick that one flower that caught their attention. May those who dare to try, win. Gladly could Kevin and Casey say that yes, they won.

To this day, even after years of being together, Kevin and Casey were still lovey-dovey. Kevin would just drape his arm around her shoulder when they went out for a walk. He would buy Casey some gifts, even when he was only grocery shopping. It was rarely something luxurious. Instead, Kevin showed her that he knew her by buying her favorite snacks, beauty products, and some other gifts that might be small in size, but actually great in quality. Casey would sometimes jokingly say, "Stop wasting our money on gifts, Kevin." But her eyes could not lie. They always sparkled when he arrived home with gifts, though they still did even when he did not bring any gifts. Her eyes could never get enough of Kevin. Her sweet pinkish lips would curve into the most stunning smile Kevin had ever seen in his life, the smile whose brightness had defeated the sun.

At nights, Kevin would make her a cup of tea and place it right at her table where she worked on her career as a writer and a storyteller that aspired to help those heal from their trauma. That table was also the place she spent her day reading. Little did she know, Kevin would peek through the door and see the rays of dusk sun crept through the curtains and illuminate her profile. The sun might be dim as it was leaving its throne, but her face never ceased to glow. So captivating she was that every dusk, Kevin enshrined her through photos. He had collected more than enough. He was making a photo album of just her for her birthday. Even under the moonlight, her beauty did not dim. Kevin sometimes had to pinch himself, afraid that the beautiful partner he had was just a pleasant dream. Thankfully, it was not. She was as real as he was, but how come she was so dreamy?

Casey was not less affectionate than he was. In fact, she still blushed shyly as her elbow touched his. The electricity that ran through her veins often created a sensation that she was still not accustomed to, yet she also could not get enough of it. Even when they were just holding hands, it took her pulse. He found it amusing, sometimes, that he would tease by tickling her. Both would end up on the floor, laughing, then a minute later kissing gently. They could do anything together and it would not be boring. They would sit in the same room, doing whatever they liked, though they were quiet, it was comfortable. They would share a sofa, Casey on the one end and Kevin on the other, their toes would touch one another. It, too, was comforting and oddly relaxing.

Casey's favorite scenery in the house was actually Kevin when he slept. He looked so much at peace. To her, he was always enchanting. He was the only person that could bewitch her and make her heart chant for his name like it were a ritual. She found it pleasantly strange that even at the most calm situation, he could create chaos within her. Although sleeping Kevin was her favorite scenery, she, instead, captured his morning faces through photography. The polaroids now were all over their staircase walls. She added one each day and though he begged her to stop for a very logical reason, "My ugly face will be all over the house!" as he once said, she refused to obey. Like a cop she was gluing the photos and like a wanted criminal he was. Well, he really was, wasn't she? Stealing her heart was his crime.

"Today, as I and my husband are celebrating our seven years of marriage, I would like to say: love is simple and so, unbelievably, is loving someone. What is hard is nurturing love and looking after it so that it won't die. Unless we try, we won't see the garden of colorful blooming flowers in our hearts."

***

Hello :3 In the previous part, I said I'd write a story based on the words y'all left in the comments and here it is! The words I picked are: love, comfort and smile. I'm sorry it took me so long (two years!) to update because life's been hectic :" I hope you guys like this one. Thank you so much for reading!