five | (ir)rational

It was dark and cold. All I saw was pitch black as my eyes would not open. I thought it was another nightmare and so I tried waking myself up but couldn't. I could however, hear someone start to talk even in my state.

"She's waking up" I heard the voice I now identified as Elton say even if I was not fully conscious.

"How do you know you leech?" I heard J say as he stood up from a seat.

"I just..." Elton trailed off.

"You what? You feel her blood flow through her body you mosquito!" J sounded mad and having experienced a mad J before, I could pictured it.

"Nevah, are you awake?" Elton asked me even as I still laid unconscious.

"We know you're awake, Nevah" I heard J whisper.

I heard his feet shuffle on the floor making me realized he was getting closer to me.

I wanted to open my eyes but I couldn't. I was still surrounded by darkness. It was almost like sleep paralysis only my eyes hadn't opened.

"Sorry, Nev" I heard J whisper before he touched my hand with his.

At first, all I felt was his cold hand on my own cold limb but then a slow stinging-like pain occurred. And then the same shock that happened every time we touched caused my eyes opened.

"You okay?" J asked looking down at me, his hand still on mine.

I didn't reply. I just sat up and took in my surroundings. I was in an old unused classroom, laying on a row of desks alone with two guys. I quickly took back my hand as I realized this situation didn't look good.

Sensing how bad this situation could look as well, Elton stated: "Umm, it's...it's fine."

"Then why am I here?" I questioned, swinging my legs over the desks ready to defend myself.

"You didn't listen so you passed out like I said you would" J stated back with his usually tone.

"Passed out?" I repeated out loud to myself, things didn't look better.

"For how long?" I asked them as I wanted answers.

"Four hours" Elton said after some silence.

"Four hours!" I said getting off the desks.

"Why didn't anyone take me to the nurse?" I asked standing up, looking between the two.

"Because she's not a..." Elton started.

"Because she wouldn't know how to help you" J interrupted, giving Elton a dirty look.

"And you guys would? Do you have better medical degrees than her?"

"Listen James, we need to explain it to her."

So that was his name, James. I could stop calling him J now.

"We can't. We aren't her parents. They have their reasons for hiding this from her" James said to Elton through clenched teeth.

"But she has the right to know what happened" Elton argued.

"We don't even know what happened" James narrowed his eyes.

"Sorry, but if you're talking about me shouldn't I be able to know what's happening."

They both turned towards me like I had just appeared in the room.

"Please."

"The nurse is human and you're not so she can't really help you" Elton said quickly causing James to quickly anger and me to give him a shocked looked.

"What?" is all I could muster up.

"See, she doesn't understand!" James raised his voice.

"Please don't yell, it makes me..." I said hoping he understood.

"Sorry" he replied, not wanting the same results as last time.

"Thank you. And...I may not understand because you have to admit that this all sounds strange and...and crazy but you have to at least try to explain it to me. I...I don't really want to be left in the dark, you know?"

"I understand but I still think you should be hearing this from your parents. I really don't want to see you pass out again" James explained to me.

"I have had nightmares of something coming after me that cause me to wake up multiple times a night so I haven't had a good nights rest for almost a year. At this point anything seems plausible."

"Really? Nightmares for a year" Elton questioned me.

"Yup. Almost a year now, every time I go to sleep"

"You didn't look like you were having a nightmare just now" Elton stated.

"Maybe because she wasn't asleep and she was actually passed out" James explained to him.

"So not human huh?" I said after the silence.

"Why are you taking this so well?" James questioned me, which I only replied to with a shrug.

"Shouldn't you be freaking out or something?" he continued.

"It's not that I'm taking it well it's just that I think all the sleep deprivation made me not care anymore"

"So you don't know why you have the nightmares?" Elton asked me.

"Nope. And you two don't know why I'm not human?"

"Nope" he replied as well.

"Is Nevan Wilson your full name?" James asked me.

"Ya, why?"

"I'll make some calls and see what I can find out. I'll be back in a second" James said and walked out of the classroom.

"How do you guys know I'm not human?" I chose to ask Elton.

"Well, humans have normal colored eyes but people like us don't."

"Is that why you said I had black eyes?"

"Sort of. People like us have normal looking eyes to humans but we have a glowing rim around our iris to show others like us what we are."

"Then what's blocking? I kept hearing you two use the word"

"So, the golden glowing rim shows other people like us that you're not human. If your whole iris turns black then it means your blocking others from knowing what your are. A lot will see this as a sign of secrecy which can mean danger"

"So that's why James wanted to know what I was?"

"Ya, he was just looking out for his pack"

"Pack? So we're going all supernatural now"

"Well yes...I guess James was right, it is too much to explain now"

"So my parents should be the ones to tell me"

"I guess so but if you ever have any questions you can ask us"

"Thank you"

"It's no problem"

The door opened and in walking in a stressed out looking James.

"Well your parents have a lot of explaining to do. Your family history is quite interesting. My contact wasn't too thrilled about your family when I asked."

"What did they say?"

"Ya what happened?" Elton said taking a seat at one of the desks I was previously laying on.

"I'm not going to tell you Nevan. I already told you this. I want you to talk to your parents."

"Fine, I will"