Chapter Nine

The days that followed the mob's intrusion on Hayley's home contained lots of cleaning and organizing. Most of which was done by Hayley herself. Not because Cascadia and Pierce didn't want to help, but because Hayley wanted to do it herself.

Cascadia couldn't help but think that Hayley hated her after what happened. Even though she offered to let her stay, Hayley definitely stayed away from Cascadia. Cascadia noticed, too.

Cascadia was becoming stir crazy. While Hayley was obsessed with cleaning up, Pierce and Cascadia started brainstorming what to do.

"I don't want to stay here anymore. Hayley obviously hates me, and I'm not helping her at all by staying here. She's just being nice, Pierce. I don't know what to do."

Cascadia paced around Hayley's bedroom while Pierce just sat on the bed, listening to her rant and trying to think of ideas that would be useful to her.

"I mean, I could help you get out of the village." Pierce offered. "I'm sure we could find a way to get you out. Hayley could help too... Well, maybe. But what would you do when you got out of the village?"

"That's what I'm trying to think of." Cascadia sighed. She plopped down on Hayley's bed next to Pierce.

"Cassie, would you honestly rather be here or that dungeon cell?" Pierce grinned, trying to lighten the mood. "This is so much better. I think you should wait it out -"

"But, Hayley- Pierce, I can't just wait it out. She doesn't want me here. You talk to her." Cascadia shoved him off the bed and towards the door.

"Do you want me to talk to her?" Pierce asked, still grinning. "I can if you want."

"You would actually do that?"

"Yeah," Pierce said. "I'll go talk to her now."

Cascadia smiled and jumped off the bed, following Pierce.

"No, just stay here." Pierce stopped her before he exited the room. "Maybe she doesn't want to talk to you. You say she hates you, so just stay here."

Cascadia sighed. "You think she hates me too?"

"You said it, not me." Pierce grinned and slipped out the door before Cascadia could say anything.

All this time, Pierce had denied that Hayley hated her.

Jerk...

Cascadia sat down on the bed. She looked around Hayley's room. There were at least five photos in her small room of just her and Pierce together when they were younger.

Cascadia stood up and studied a frame of Pierce and Hayley together: they looked like they were no older than three. Cascadia started wishing that she had had a friend like Hayley when she was younger.

*-*-*-*

"Hey, Hale." Pierce found Hayley in the living room, lifting a table to stand it back up. "Need help?"

"Sure,"

Pierce helped Hayley stand up the table and then continued to help her place things on it. "Is this the last room?" Pierce asked.

"Huh?"

"That needs to be cleaned. Is this it?"

"Oh. Yeah." Hayley gazed at Pierce. "You're never this helpful to me. What do you want?"

Pierce grinned. "You know me too well." He sat on the couch and invited Hayley to sit next to him.

"How are you and Cassie?" Pierce asked.