Chapter One

Cascadia Trawley gazed at all the open drawers in her room. Two giant suitcases sat atop her wooden framed bed and light blue quilt. Tomorrow was her birthday. Although it wasn't an exciting one. Her parents had made the decision four years ago to send her away to the elemental school for troubled beings following the discovery of her being able to use multiple elemental powers - all at the age of six.

It all started with her fascination with fire. That fascination then grew to more than one element. It went from fire, to water, mind, air, light, and then, to everyone's surprise, dark right after light. It got to the point where she was infatuated with every element and her parents were beyond certain that they were making the right decision by sending her to the school for troubled beings.

Now she was packing. She hummed to herself to keep her mind from wandering to other things. She had known about her parents decision to send her to the school for troubled beings for years, but didn't think that this day would actually arrive. They were even sending her away on the day she turned ten.

She felt like her parents didn't even want her anymore, seeing as they were sending her away as soon as possible. Over the past couple months, Cascadia noticed her parents distancing themselves from her. She felt very hurt. After noticing that, she wasn't as upset about leaving them, although she couldn't say that it still didn't sting a little.

"Cascadia!"

They had even stopped calling her by her nickname, Cassie.

"Cascadia! Are you packing?" She heard her father call. Cascadia sighed and set down the outfits she had put together before poking her head outside her room. "Yeah. Is dinner going to be ready soon? I'm starving."

"Ten minutes, sweetie!" Desiree responded.

Her mother never called her sweetie, either. Maybe she was finally regretting the decision of sending her away so soon?

*-*-*-*

An hour later.

It was late. Cascadia had eaten and was now tired, although she didn't want to sleep and didn't think she could if she wanted to. Her mind was anything but calm. Her stomach was in knots at the prospect of waking up the next morning and leaving her parents to go to a place where no one would appreciate her existence. In fact, where she was going, people would do anything but appreciate her. She would be mocked by the community. And all because she was different.

What did they think? Did they think she would hurt them? Just because she was more powerful, did they think that she would abuse that fact? Did they think that, just because she was different, she was evil?

Her heart sank at the thought. No one loved her, not even her parents. Anymore, at least. Now she would be despised by everyone else. It wasn't like she had any friends in her village either. No. Everyone who used to be her friend before she found out she was 'special' abandoned her in cold blood.

She collapsed, face first, onto her pillows and cried. She hadn't cried in a while, and after all that happened over the past few months, it felt good.

"Why me?" She cried between sobs. She had never felt more hopeless and alone in her entire life.

She ended up crying herself to sleep.

*-*-*-*

The next morning.

Her alarm rudely woke her up at six o'clock in the morning. Haet was a small planet, but that didn't mean that it still wouldn't take Cascadia and her parents a couple hours to walk to the school. For any other family, this would be a happy day - going to school was a big step in the life of a Haetian. For Cascadia, however, her eyes were bloodshot and dry from crying whilst getting ready that morning. She wanted to at least look presentable for her fellow classmates when she got there.