Prologue

Alexandra wakes up with a start, another nightmare that she couldn't remember. Her hair was a sticky mass against her neck and she could feel her heart pounding in her ears.

"This is the fifth time in a month, what do you need to tell me?" She whispers to the darkness.

Of course no one answers, the last of her coven sisters had succumbed to the sickness some time before and left her all alone in the world. Alex wondered lately if she should abandon her coven's homestead and temple completely.  Move to town and maybe marry, but that felt wrong. Instead she works the land alone and tries to get used to the solitude because why would her goddess take her family from her if not to teach her something?

The thought of burying her loved ones brings a flood of hot tears to her throat and she barely manages to hold them back until she eventually falls into a fitful sleep.

The next morning Alex is exhausted. Sighing she brings her hands to her face and scrubs the heartache and fatigue away. She takes only a few moments to pray for guidance before getting up to start her day.

The best she can say for being alone is there's no one to tell her what she was doing wrong, but Alex knew that she would take all the criticism if It meant having her community around her again.

  As she was tending to her garden Alex breathed an almost silent wish.

  "Please give me a sign, any sign." she pleaded.

She wouldn't know it at that moment, but her Goddess whas sending her exactly what she asked for.

Sora felt like he'd been flying for ages after the fight ended. His once luminescent hide was stained with dried blood and his massive wings were tattered and torn. The biggest of his injuries, a large chunk of flesh missing from his neck, had been bitten off by something much larger. Sora was losing blood and energy faster than he could produce it and he knew that he had to land before irreparable damage was caused.

Sora felt his vision was starting to blacken so when he spotted a slightly rundown temple bordering a lake. He banked quickly towards it but misjudged the distance and landed instead in the lake. Crashing through the surface the dragon started to sink.

As he was pulled further into the depths, his silver-grey eyes closed and he gave a silent apology to his family and people for not being strong enough to get back to them