06 | all for donuts

Start from the beginning

Seungmin's ears perk up when he hears a small sound from across the corridor and panics, lightly shoving Hyunjin down the stairs. "Quick!"

"What?"

"A prefect!"

Hyunjin's eyes spring wide open all of a sudden at the mention of 'prefect'. He quickly skips down the stairs and comes face to face with a painting of a bowl of fruit. Tickling the green pear in a hurry, Seungmin pushes Hyunjin into the kitchen just as someone runs past the top of the stairs.

"That was close," Seungmin comments in relief, but Hyunjin had disappeared from beside him and has wandered over to one of the tables where a house elf was weaving his magic and out of thin air, donuts sprinkled in powdered sugar and frosted in green matcha.

Seungmin takes a seat next to him, taking a finished donut off the plate and Hyunjin looks at him in horror. "Oi!" he yelps, watching in despair as Seungmin swallows his bite of the food before taking another. "Those are mine, I believe?"

"Just hurry up," Seungmin waves his off, "I'm getting sleepy too and I need to take a look."

Hyunjin grins, "I'm not that sleepy anymore." He giggles happily when the house elf hands him the paper bag filled with donuts, the heat seeping through the wrapping and warming up his cold hands.

"Come on, let's go!" Hyunjin shoves the bag underneath his robes and waves Seungmin over towards the door.

"Merlin, you're being so loud!" Seungmin groans, pushing himself reluctantly off from the seat and follows Hyunjin through the door.

"See, it doesn't take very long to get my donuts," Hyunjin tells his best friend, one hand supporting his donuts underneath his clothes whilst the other grips the door handle. "It's a good thing that we didn't get caught or else—"

"—Hwang and Kim?"

The two best friends freeze up at the all too familiar face of Victoire Weasley; a beautiful girl from Hufflepuff house, half-veela—and a prefect. A pretty strict one too, it's rumoured that she'll be a candidate for Head Girl next year.

They gulp at her sight, breaking into a sweat. Being caught wasn't something on their agenda that night.

"What are you doing here?" she asks them, her tone stronger now. "It's past midnight or haven't you noticed?"

"We... we were just..." Hyunjin's tongue ties under the girl's intense glare.

Seungmin was no help either, his hand was gripping the back of Hyunjin's robes tightly. They know what's going to happen next, everyone knows. There are two possibilities: number one, detention after class, which could lead to Hyunjin missing out on his practise time and Seungmin missing out on his beauty sleep. Or number two, a night out with Filch. That's worse and for all they know, Weasley could do anything she pleases—everything is in her hands now.

"Excuses, excuses," she yanks their ears up the stairs, muttering things under her breath, probably reciting the entire of the Hogwarts rules book but Hyunjin couldn't tell as he was too preoccupied by praying for a miracle to happen, hugging his stomach tight and winces when Weasley tightens her pinch on his ear.

"What were you two doing, out of your dorms at night?"

It was a simple question, but it sounded like the most complicated Arithmancy problem to ever exist.

"Tsk," Victoire Weasley laughs bitterly, crossing her arms over her chest. "Should I deduct points?"

"Wha— no!" Seungmin blurts.

"Because as far as I recall, it was Hwang's fault for getting Felix into a lot of trouble."

"Or should I make you spend the night with Filch and Mrs Norris?"

"No!" Hyunjin shudders at the thought.

"Well too bad, not to brag or anything but I'm a prefect," Victoire Weasley shrugs, "and for the records, you two are breaking school rules, which means I will—"

"—Weasley, is that you?" an all-too-familiar voice calls and Hyunjin almost screamed in horror when realising that the voice belongs to Kwon Yujin.

Her, again?

"Seungmin, we're doomed."

From next to him, Hyunjin hears the younger gulp. "You are correct, my friend."

"Yes, Kwon!" Weasley calls back to the other, "I caught these two sneaking to the kitchen!"

Yujin appears by Weasley's side, hands on her hips and eyes the two boys carefully and perhaps letting her eyes linger on Hyunjin a little longer than his own friend. "Oh, Hwang Hyunjin?"

"And Kim Seungmin," Weasley and Seungmin add at the same time.

Sighing, Yujin turns to face the Hufflepuff. "You can go now, Weasley. Check the sixth floor, apparently it's a popular hangout spot at night."

Without needing to be asked twice, Victoire Weasley walks away with the swish of her black-yellow robes.

Now, it's just Hyunjin, Seungmin and the terrifying seventh year. Hyunjin was halfway dying already; how many times is Yujin planning to destroy Hyunjin's fun in one day? He feels as if he could crumble down right then and there, so he grips his donuts tighter.

He just wants to have his donuts.

"What were you two doing at this hour?" Yujin asks the two, in a voice almost as intimidating as Victoire.

"We were..."

"... don't bother lying, Kim Seungmin."

Hyunjin glances at his best friend and bites his bottom lip. Seungmin struggles to construct the words in his head, and so he blurts, "astronomy tower."

The blond-haired boy next to him has his jaw dropped.

"We were headed to the astronomy tower..." Seungmin admits, voice becoming quieter and quieter until it trails into silence.

Kwon Yujin sighs and looks at them both in disappointment.

"You two are lucky to be in Slytherin," she continues, "I'll let you go, go back quickly. Don't do this again."

"Yes, Kwon."

Hyunjin and Seungmin turn around on their heels and both start to speedwalk along the corridor, muttering curse words.

"Oh and Hwang?"

Hyunjin freezes.

"Next time you want donuts, you could've just asked."

want me to be honest? lately i feel like stray kids and you guys are the only things keeping me half sane jsjsksjs. i really think it's getting a bit unhealthy but i guess it's not my fault the world is shitty:C sometimes i just want to talk but idk how, yaknow what i mean? because to be honest, i think i'm the one with the problems, with the overthinking, or just over-reacting.

and so i wanted to ask you a question: what helps you calm down?