14. You have the right to remain- OUCH

Start from the beginning

We passed a couple of streets without talking. Erika clouding my thoughts once more, making me wish she was by my side. She had a way, that woman, to ease my mind. Unable to control what I felt, I sighed in frustration and Liam's attention was back to me.

Fuck!

"Brandon, just tell me what's bothering you!"

Another sigh left my lips at the sudden realization. I missed her. Damn, was I already whipped? I trusted Liam and Malcolm with my life. But I knew that if I started talking about her it would make all this real, and I didn't know if I was ready to admit that I pushed her away, that I would never see her again. 

Still, talking to him wouldn't benefit me in any way. Liam had a way with numbers, but situations like this were beyond his capabilities. Talk to him about numbers, computers, machines and he was your guy. Hell, the guy hacked government satellites at the age of fifteen simply because he was bored. But, emotions? No, shit like that seemed to go over his head.

Should I ask him to track her down? Find her phone number and address? What am I thinking... Get your head out of the gutter, Brandon.

He drove down the road stealing glances my way, waiting for an answer. I tried to concentrate on something else, but it was of no use. Somehow I wanted to get all the thoughts out of my system, so they could make sense to me.

"Fine... I met someone... Nothing happened, it's just... It's complicated, alright? Now focus on the road, before I punch you in the face!" He chuckled, turning his face back on the road. He knew very well that I wasn't joking around.

"Man, you must be whipped. Look at your face!" He chuckled once more, his teasing never ending. "Damn, she must be really something, cause you wouldn't waste time thinking about her..."

I frowned for a moment; his revelation shocked me because he was actually right. The fucking chicken head was actually right. He paused, scratching the stubble on his chin while the wheels in his head turned. Before I knew it, he punched my leg hard and then returned his hand on the wheel.

"What was that for?" He really caught me off guard this time.

"How come you met someone? You were in a hospital, on a fucking hospital bed, probably wearing an awful ass hospital gown, for God's..." His eyes momentarily glanced my way, before he continued. "No... No, no, no... Don't tell me... Was she your doctor?"

"She was my doctor, yes, but not the one you saw this morning. She didn't come to see me after the second attack." I mumbled the last part under my breath, but from the look on his face I knew he heard me.

"Fuck, dude! Was she there? Did she see anything?"

"The guy Inkles sent held a knife to her throat." The memory of her pained face stirred my insides making me want to hit someone.

"Fuck, man... this is so fucked up. Is she alright?"

"Yeah, I reached her on time. But fuck, it was so fucking frightening. I saw red." I rubbed my face with my right hand in frustration, while Liam hummed in response beside me. There was nothing else to be said. I pushed her away and that was the end of that; he knew that, I knew that.

"Damn you Casanova! It's those freaking eyes, isn't it? Fuck, you won the lottery and girls fall left and right for you, don't they?" He said distressed, before a grin concealed his previews grimace.

"Shut up... And don't you ever talk about her as if she's a slot of red or black on a fucking spinning wheel."  

My eyebrows furrowed in confusion for a moment. Liam had women on his back and call. If anyone should be called a Casanova, it was him. Women were attracted to his personality and his mysterious demeanor. He couldn't help it though; his emotional disconnection had them spellbound. Which was reason for my momentary confusion. Did something happen I didn't know?