relive

(Draco's POV)
(Note: Draco is a trainee neurosurgeon so can perform this surgery in the presence of other qualified doctors)
(Italics represent thoughts)

Harry had flatlined.

Harry wasn't breathing.

Harry was dead.

No, no, no, this can't be happening. Please Merlin. Make him breathe again. Please.

Three hours into the surgery and Harry had started flatlining. Draco was yelling to everyone whilst he was doing chest compressions. Draco couldn't lose Harry. He just couldn't.

I'll do anything Merlin. Anything. Please just make him breathe again.

Tears started rolling down Draco's face. Nothing he was doing was working. Draco felt his throat start to close up. This can't be happening now. It hasn't happened in a year.

"Get Dr.Halstead. Now." Draco shouted.

"Yes, Dr.Malfoy."

Draco knew there were other qualified doctors in the room but he needed a neurosurgeon. Draco tried to block out the thoughts, he tried to calm himself but nothing was working. Draco kept on giving Harry CPR. Focus on Harry, Draco. Focus on Harry. It had been 5 minutes since the nurse went to get Dr.Halstead. Draco could barely breathe by this point. Tears were rolling down his face. The 'what ifs?' kept entering his mind. Draco didn't even hear someone enter the room.

"Williams, take over chest compressions. Get the defib ready. Smith, one milligram of epi stat. Dr.Malfoy, outside." Dr.Halstead shouted.

Draco quickly exited the room. He was shaking and Draco put his hands over his eyes. This isn't happening. This is a dream. Wake up. WAKE UP. Draco was holding in the sobs but only because he knew Dr.Halstead was standing in front of him.

"Another one?" Dr.Halstead asked

Draco nodded his head.

"Draco, you haven't had one for ages. What happened?"

Draco took a deep breath. "Uh... he is really close to me and I just can't lose him." Draco couldn't calm down, the tightness in his chest and throat were still there, the thoughts were still there, he was still shaking.

"Who do you want me to get?" Dr.Halstead asked

"There's two people in the waiting room. Their names are Hermione Granger and Ronald Weasley. Hermione has really big, brown hair and Ron's hair is bright red. You won't miss them."

Dr.Halstead pulled Draco into a hug. "You won't try anything while I'm gone will you?"

"I won't. Thanks for everything Will."

"Anytime." Dr.Halstead said whilst walking away. Draco was barely holding together. He sunk down the the floor and hugged his knees into his chest. Draco blocked out the thoughts in his head. Well... tried. He heard footsteps approach him but he didn't look up. Draco felt a hand on his shoulder.

"I'll check on him and finish the surgery if well... you know." Dr.Halstead said.

Draco felt sick. What if Dr.Halstead couldn't finish the surgery? What if Harry was...? What if he was...? Draco felt himself getting pulled up. He looked up to see Ron's eyes full of concern.

"What happened?" Ron asked.

"He flatlined. And I.. uh... I had a panic attack." whispered Draco.

"Oh my... is he still...?" Hermione choked out.

"I... uh... I don't know." Tears started rolling down Draco's face but he hastily wiped them away.