𝐓𝐖𝐎

It seems like a cloud of silence falls over the group, your heart feeling as if it completely stopped beating

It seems like a cloud of silence falls over the group, your heart feeling as if it completely stopped beating. Tears sting at the corner of your eyes but you don't dare let them fall, too afraid to show them. You were going to leave your mother, your best friend , because of this man. Sure, working for Mr. Rick is horrible, tiring but you never actually thought about leaving. You could never leave, not without your mother.

Annabeth curls her arms around you, trembling slightly. Mr. Rick's face holds shock, his eyes wide and he looks like a blubber fish. No one has ever offered to buy one of his girls, not even high paying men.

"Look young man, I don't think you know what you're getting yourself into," Mr. Rick begins to speak, waving his hands about,"You see how clumsy she is." Was that what he was trying to do? Spit insults about you in order to change San's mind. But , San's face only confronts into annoyance, his eyebrows furrowed. The man next to him doesn't even speak, his eyes transfixed on Mr. Rick as his expression is blank.

"You can say all the nonsense you want , old man, we made a deal and it's done," San speaks and then a sudden smirk curls on lips," Unless I can take myself to town now and-"

"No, that won't be needed!" Mr. Rick spits out and clenches his fist before turning towards you. He jabs a finger at you and motions you to stand.

"You heard him, get on up." Your breath hitches and Annabeth's hold on you tightens. This was it, you were being sold to a man who you know nothing about and for all you know , as soon as you guys step outside of town he'll leave you alone or worse , kill you. Your thoughts are jumbled and your mind spins, you don't dare let let any of your tears fall.

So, you stumble up and cast your head down, now too afraid to even look up now. Annabeth still stands behind you but reluctantly took her arms away.

"Pack your things, we leave at sunset," San speaks and then pushes himself up off the stool, the man next to him doing the same but still has his eyes locked on Mr. Rick.

Sunset. You don't know the time for sure but by the way you see some of the customers leave, you can tell it's not long from now. You only have until sunset to say goodbye to your sick mother, you only have until sunset to say goodbye to Annabeth. You want to speak out and tell San to lay the deal off , that you don't want to leave and that you can't , but he doesn't seem like the type to go back on his word.

"We'll be back , take this as a warning," The man that's with San finally speaks up, his voice calm,"If you don't have it next time, we will kill you."
Kill? And what is it that Mr. Rick owes them? Now you stand in silence and confusion, your head spinning and your breath caught in your throat. You need to get back to your mother and tell her your goodbyes, tell her that you love her and that you always will. You turn your head to Mr. Rick and open your mouth but he scoffs and waves his hand.

"Get outta here, you ain't mine anymore," He says gruffly and with that he walks around the back to his office, slamming the door. The action makes customers stop , completely silent and now staring in your direction. For some reason more tears form at your eyes but this time you allow them to fall, sliding down your cheeks and over your chin. You feel weak , vulnerable but you shakily sigh and turn around to face Annabeth who's expression is the same as yours but when she meets your eyes she forces a smile.

"Ya finally got your escape, I'm sure you'll have a good life," She says and reaches forward, grabbing you and pulling you into her,"I'm glad."

A whimper leaves past your lips as you bury your head in her shoulder, your heart clenching. You want to stay but you know you can't , so you squeeze Annabeth and then pull away.

"I'm gonna go and see about mother," You say in a hushed voice and Annabeth nods in understanding with a smile , pushing you jokingly.

"See you." And with that you walk around the counter and to the doors, looking back at Annabeth one more time before stepping out into the heat. Every step you take makes your heart clench even more, your shoulders sagging. You're not ready to say goodbye to your mother, you're not ready to leave her , not knowing if she'll survive. But you can't do anything about the situation. Then, as if someone struck you on the head, a thought crosses your mind. You smile and hurry to your home, starting to run.

Maybe you could take your mother with you.

[ i didn't put any sad stuff in here bc i already had something planned for the next chap so this one is boring ]