thirty-nine

The Spot was something Dallas had come across while in Malibu many years ago

The Spot was something Dallas had come across while in Malibu many years ago. It is a safe place for kids to go if they need help. Whether it be a few hours away from home, or to eat some food and get water. It is located in an old indoor skatepark. There are many separate rooms for people to catch up on sleep, or just a quiet place to get homework done.

It was a safe haven for kids in need.

The owner and provider of the building was not a old man, but an a young adult, his name is Zeke Hill, and he is around 24 years old now. He is an upcoming lawyer, now in his last year, but he had always made time to help. When Dallas first met him he was the most welcoming person she had been aquatinted with in a while.

That is why when Dallas needed help, a place to stay, a safe place, she chose to go to The Spot. She had to hide her car in Texas and catch a train from there back to Malibu. Her leg was throbbing by that point, and though it pained her to leave behind, she had to abandon the car for now.

She slept most of those three days, but once she stepped off the last train with her bags, Dallas felt better. She really had time to push down all her emotions, and be okay.

It took her an Uber ride to get to The Spot. The place was not advertised, the word got spread by the kids and that is how they knew. Zeke did not want the kids to feel unsafe, or like they were being watched there, so he did as much as legally possible to do so.

Dallas walked around the building. The lamp illuminated her path with flickers, since it was night when she got here. She went up to that familiar purple door, and knocked.

A few seconds passed until the door opened and warm air smothered her, and a kid stood at the door. They were younger than her, and they nodded and let her in without any questions.

Once inside, Dallas rubs her hands together to try to warm them up a bit. She looks around. Not too many people are out, but that would be the case since it was late; they were probably sleeping.

"Is Zeke here?" She asks the kid.

They nod, and point up to the office up the stairs to the right of the empty skate rink and apparent monkey bars above that now.

"Thanks." She says, and heads up there.

Dallas has had time to heal some more. Her face is not a purple palace anymore, but the left side is still bruised. Walking was still a hassle, and she was ready to give it a rest for the day already. The brace had helped a lot. Tony-

She heads up the stairs slow, until she reaches the entrance of the room. There are papers scattered all over the graffitied room, and Zeke sits in the middle of all of them with a pen in between his lips.

Dallas coughs, and looks around the room pretending to not notice Zeke when he looks up.

"Dallas, wow, hey!" Zeke says, and gets to his feet. His feet are covered only by pug socks.