thirty-four

Steve Rogers had had a quiet early morning run. No one was quite awake walking the streets that he liked to run on at just before the sunrise, so, it left him listening to his heart beat and focusing on controlling his breathing as he ran. He enjoyed it very much and was content, a bit on the sweaty side, but content with how to morning went.

He got to see the sunrise before he came into the Tower trough the back, and now has just gotten out of the shower and dressed for the day in up-to-date jeans and a button down aqua shirt. Steve had business about the Avengers to discuss with Tony today, and getting it over with early and as fast as possible is what his partner seemed to like, so Steve tried to make that happen as much as possible.

Steve goes into the elevator placed on his floor, he tilts his head up a bit to speak, "JARVIS, will you let Tony know that I'm coming up now?"

"Of course, Captain. May I warn you that there are a few guests resting in sirs living room at the moment, and that he has told me to tell you to not wake them up under any circumstances." JARVIS says cooly.

Guests. That was new. It was just Pepper and Tony as far as Steve was concerned, maybe the occasional Colonel Rhodes, but new guests was well new.

Steve shrugs it off, "Tell him I'll do my best."

As Steve arrives on Tony's floor, he walks in with a purpose and caution while making his way through the living room. He tries not to look and snoop to see who the guests were, but his curiosity gets the best of him and Steve stops. Takes in the sight. And feels confused.

There were three kids in their teens at least sprawled out all over the couches, two young men, and one young dame. The two were crossed at the feet with their arms falling off the couch, leaving the last one to be half on the floor and half on the couch. Why Tony had three children here, Steve could not comprehend.

"Cap! Get over here." Tony hisses in a whisper, his quiet footsteps are now meeting Steve's ears as he enters the room and heads for the kitchen, waving him to follow his lead.

Steve dumbly follows Tony into the kitchen, his eyes keep flitting back to the kids and then to Tony again.

Tony goes for the coffee. He always does and always will.

"What do you got for me, Cap?" Tony asks, nodding at the file Steve had brought with him that he had forgotten all about. It was just something Fury wanted Tony to look into because it dealt with enemy tech, the file felt weightless in his grasp.

Deciding to be quiet in the kitchen Steve whispers, "Oh, it's just something Fury wanted you to look at, it can wait though..if you've got your hands full." Steve's eyes fall back onto the kids.

"No I'm good, fork it over." Tony nudges the file out of Steve's grasp with no resistance on Steve's end.

Steve takes a moment to take Tony in. He is dressed. Not formal, like in a suit or anything so that means Tony is not doing business for Stark Industries today, kind of like how Steve was not doing any SHIELD related work today.

Tony had darker jeans look superior to Steve's lighter toned ones, and Tony styled his hair casually with some hair curling behind his ears today, and he had on a long sleeved white shirt on that fit him well. His hazel eyes appear to sparkle as he reads into the file he snatched from Steve mere seconds ago.

No matter how distracting Tony's casual look is, Steve can not get over those kids on Tony's Floor of all places.

Steve has to ask or it will literally eat him alive, so he does, "Tony, I don't mean to pry, but why are there kids in your living room?"

Tony meets Steve's eyes as they lift off of the file, his brows furrow until he looks over at his couch and then back to Steve's awaiting gaze, a smile breaks out on his face, "Oh, Cap, those are just my kids friends."

"Oh, I remember you saying something about a daughter a little while ago..." Steve recalls to the morning where Clint pushed Tony until Tony snapped and revealed his secret to all of the Avengers.

"Dallas. Yeah, she's right there." Tony points to the only dame in the room, showing pride in his features.

"So I'm guessing you got your custody then?" Steve says, he knows he is prying he just can not help it.

Tony frowns, "Yeah...Cap, anyone with access to the Internet knows who Dallas is now, do you even watch the news these days?"

Steve's gets a little defensive, "I well, I read the paper, but I haven't been able to get to our mail box because of all the reporters camped out there."

"Hey, it's okay, that's on me, they should go away by the end of today. I'll make sure to set something up so you get your paper everyday, sorry about that." Tony pats Steve's shoulder, meaning what he was saying.

"It's fine, a few days without the paper hasn't killed me yet, just put me back a couple of days is all." Steve admits and jokes.

Tony laughs, and closes the file in his hands. He tosses it onto the counter, his interest still peaked, just put on hold for the moment being.

"Are you going to look into that?" Steve asks, pointing at the discarded file.

"Oh, yeah! Later, though." Tony says.

This surprised Steve, "Wow, I've never seen you look at a project and now delve right into it until it's finished. One time you didn't even come out of your lab for almost a week trying to perfect a new gauntlet." He laughs.

Tony follows his laughter, "Normally I would, but I'm spending time with the kid today. I want to get to know her better too."

Steve smiles at his friend. He opens his mouth to tell Tony how proud he is of how far he has come since he met him a few years back when JARVIS interrupts them.

"Sir, SHIELD has located and placed Dan Rory in lockup." JARVIS says.

Tony breaths in the relief. The message is a good one for him.

"Thank you, J." Tony says. 

Steve frowns, "Who's Dan Rory?"

Tony's face sets serious, "Someone who thought he could threaten my family and get away with it."

Their conversation dies after that. Steve's only reason for being there was to discuss the contents of the file with Tony, and now that Tony had bestowed it upon himself to do it later and on his own, Steve had no reason to stay.

Steve watches his friend go over to the couch and to the dame, he shakes her shoulder softly while whispering something to her. Steve puts it together that Tony is talking to his daughter whose name is Dallas, and watches her head move around and body stretch out as she sits up. A smile breaks out on her face after Tony whispers something Steve could not pick up, and Tony mimics her smile and says something else.

The teenager nods and gets up, and goes to one of the rooms that Tony has on his floor quickly.

Steve catches Tony's eye before leaving, wanting to keep it quiet for the others still sleeping, and waves to him on his way to the elevator. He receives Tony's short wave back as his goodbye.

Steve leaves Tony's floor thinking that being a Dad looks good on Tony.