Chapter Fifty-Nine

William Novett

"I guess, but....I wouldn't mind...stayin' here...."

William couldn't help but smile at her comment. He placed his arm at her waist and pulled her into his side softly. He knew that she could be wanting to stay for plenty of reasons - including the dragon egg, not just him. However, it still made him happy.

"Glad to hear," He murmured with a grin, glancing up to look at the various horses around the room for display. He reached his hand out and began to stroke the nose of the nearest horse. "We can always come back and look at the horses another time. Buy one if you need." William offered, turning his head to look at Rowan.

Rowan nodded her head and continued to pet the nose of the horse before bringing her back. "Better than buyin' one now when I don't need it."

Will snorted and rubbed her back before stepping away. He glanced over towards Gareth and smiled. "Glad to see you're doing well, Gareth."

"You too, My Lord." Gareth said with a chuckle.

William turned himself around and placed his hand on Rowan's side, beginning to coerce her away from the horses. "We should probably be heading back to the castle soon." Will said. "We'll likely be eating soon and I have no doubt that my father will want to... talk." William said slowly. Normally, he had no issue with talking to his father. However, at this particular moment, William knew that his father wasn't exactly very pleased with Will. Having an unpleasant yet serious conversation wasn't very thrilling.

Rowan fell silent, a frown on her face. William furrowed his eyebrows in confusion on why she was frowning. However, she spoke first. "Can we... talk later tonight?" She asked, almost hesitantly.

He was immediately concerned.

William turned his attention over to Rowan and furrowed his eyebrows slightly. Perhaps she wanted to have the whole... relationship talk - though Will was surprised she would bring it up at all. After all, he always saw it as more of a man's duty to define a relationship.

...But this was Rowan.

"Of course." He said, watching Rowan's movements as they began to leave back out to the streets of Caelfall. "Is something wrong?"

Rowan opened her mouth to speak, but Owen spoke first after seeing the pair. "My Lord," Owen smiled as he stepped forward. "Sir Charlin just came down on his stallion looking for you. He said that Princess Evelyn requested your presence. I told him that I would let you know once you returned."

William's thoughts shifted from concern about Rowan to concern about his little sister. "Is everything alright with Evelyn? Did Sir Charlin say?"

Owen hesitated, and William knew why. "I didn't... ask." He said slowly. As a handservant, Owen became good at merely following orders and not asking questions. However, there were moments like this that he needed to.

Will closed his eyes and glanced over towards Rowan. A part of William wanted to run back to the castle to check - but another part of him didn't want to abandon Rowan in Caelfall. Sure, she would be with Owen, but William knew how Owen could fight. He knew that Rowan could fight - but William wasn't going to leave her here to defend herself. That was William's job.

However, Rowan could likely see the glint in his eyes on wanting to hurry back. "You can go, Will."

Will shook his head and pressed his lips into a firm line. He wrapped his arm around Rowan's waist and began to walk towards the castle. "I'm not leaving you here alone." William murmured sternly, continuing to walk towards castle. Rowan likely saw his determination and found it best to remain silent and merely let the stubborn prince be stubborn.