Butterfly Wings

Butterfly Wings 

by Amethyst M

I am dead. My name was Lesley Ashton. I was sixteen years old and I was loving life until the day I died. I quote, this is my story.

I lived with my two parents and little sister. Mum, Kate worked at a clinic. Dad, Logan, was a mechanic. Then there was my little sister - Clary. Well, her job was to be a big pain in the ass to me. She was great at her job...

This winter had been the coldest winter it has ever been in my sixteen years of life and thanks to the tulips I knew it was almost over. A couple of weeks before spring arrived, a family moved in next door the Colet's. Mum and dad wanted to make sure the Colet's felt at home in our small town, since they had move from the city. Mr and Mrs Colet had a son, he was seventeen and his name was Scott.

After the first week of the Colet's moving in, the neighbourhood decided to throw a welcoming party, at our house to officially welcome the family to the town, that's the day I met Scott Colet. He was a good-looking guy. I'd seen him at school early that day but I didn't speak to him since, he was a year older then me.

I was in my room getting ready and saw the sunset. When I was little I used to be annoyed that my window faced the back of the house, but not anymore. From there you could watch the beautiful sunsets, on the horizon of the lush, green, empty fields behind the houses. I just put the last pin in my hair when the doorbell rang, then after a couple of seconds rang again. It looked like everyone was too busy doing who knows what to open the door. So I did, and when I did I was surprise to see Scott at my door, since the welcoming party didn't start for another 2 hours. I felt the weirdest flutter pass through me, when he smiled at me as soon as I opened the door.  

"I'm Scott. Hi." he said. 

"Hi, I'm Lesley", I said shyly. 

"I'm new here, and I don't really know anybody...Then I found out you and your family were throwing us a welcoming party. That's really nice of yous. Listen, my parents sent me over early and to make a 'good impression', do you maybe wanna hang out before the party?" 

The flutter in my stomach began to ease. He seemed friendly enough, and he was good-looking... 

"Ok" I replied. "But my parents are kind of up-tight about boys coming into the house, and my little sister is a real brat. You wanna hang out at your place while we wait for the party?" 

"Sure" he replied, with a shy and cute little smile on his face. 

I grabbed my jacket quickly, because it was still a little cold, and wasn't Spring yet. 

"Can we go into my house the back way?" he asked "I don't wanna run into my parents. They're both stressing about making a good impression in front of the neighbours."  

"Umm, ok" I didn't want to make them even, more on edge. 

We walked around the back, to a creaky old door. It wasn't like the bright, white new ones around the front. 

When he opened it, it was completely dark. Black and daunting. 

He flicked on a light, but it didn't light up the room very much. I could only barely see a stairway going down from the door. 

"The other light switches are further inside the basement. Sorry it's a little dark"

We stepped down the stairs carefully. I could see strange shapes in the darkness and could hear sounds, like tapping and scratching. There were a lot of animals outside in the backyard this time of year, because it was nearly Spring. Then, the room lit up, the light was so bright, it was almost blinding. When my eyes had adjusted to the light, I was able to look around the room properly and, to my horror, there were dead animals hanging from the walls, in cages and on tables. Then I realized they weren't all dead, they were slowly dying. They were all tortured, limbs cut off, eyes missing. I almost spewed from the smell, I was disgusted but most of all I was scared.

I looked at him. He had a smirk on his face. I took a step back from him, back to the stairs that lead outside, within a split second I turned and ran. Just after I made it out, I heard him dash up the stairs shouting my name, I was so panicked and scared, I ran for the fence that fenced off the field, I climbed threw just as I saw he'd just made it out of the basement. I saw he had a gun. I turned for the sunset that had almost set and ran. I heard the gun go off, just before I felt the bullet hit my left shoulder. I crashed to the ground skidding on my side. I rolled onto my back, to try ease the pain and that's when I saw it. The first butterfly of Spring, the last thing I saw were butterfly wings.