29 - School Shopping

"What—What do you mean it's not a one time thing?" Betty asked, denying what she knew.

    "Look, all girls have to start when they turn 16, and there's a schedule for every week. You don't want to get Friday's, that's the busiest night. Especially after nine pm, if it's before you should be okay." Toni said, sighing and laying back.

    "Well I uh..." Betty stuttered.

    "Look. After a month, it's normal. You think about math problems you were having a hard time with, or a poem in language arts class. They give you lingerie to put on. But it's always safe to bring an extra, because if someone accidentally takes the one assigned home... You get to wear nothing. Also... You cannot miss your shift or..." Toni said.

    "Or..." Betty asked.

    "Or your punished. Depends on it. When Jughead was king he tried to demolish the rule, but when it came down to a vote, girl's were outnumbered. Jughead never gave punishments. But when FP was king... well let's just say he enjoyed those dances." Toni said, picking up a glass of water.

    "Enjoyed? Wait... what exactly are the punishments... Toni?" Betty said curiously.

    "I heard one girl... got slapped and forced to perform in private, for more than a few hours. Another had to do lap dances. And Cheryl missed one a few days ago and..." Toni sighed heavily, "I took her place in punishment today because she's new at this..." Toni she's her serpent jacket and turned her back towards Betty.

    There was a large dark, purple and blue bruise across Toni's shoulder. "FP hates when he miss our slots because we bring in a lot of money. And no, I'm not going to say anything. This is normal, okay?" Toni said. Slowly putting her jacket on again.

    "FP? Beating you guys? But—" Betty rambled.

    "What? You didn't notice how Jughead flinches when FP raises his voice or walks over to Jughead? You thought all of those bruises were from his motorcycle?" Toni said. "Betty! Jughead has been beaten for years. Why do you think his mom left?"

    "I—But he never said anything!" Betty argued.

"Betty. He got so scared when you said that you went to go see his dad asking about Jug's birthday. He thought what happened to— Oh I um— I overstepped..." Toni muttered.

"What happened to...?" Betty asked slowly.

"Betty, this is something Jughead will have to tell you." Toni said. "I have to go over to Cheryl's. Do you need a ride anywhere?"

"Yeah, maybe my house?" Betty asked standing up.

"Okay." Toni said standing up and walking out the door.
-5:30 PM-
Betty hopped off Toni's motorcycle and ran up the front steps of the Andrews household.

She knocked once on the door, and turned around prepared to leave. She watched a car go by as she heard the familiar voice through the door, "Okay, Vegas. Yeah... Yes you love the chew toy! One second..."

Betty spun around as Archie opened the door, dumbfounded. "I was going to call but—"

Archie cut her off by hugging her tightly, "I've missed you!" He said, cutting off her circulation.

Once Archie let her get in the door, and they were sitting on his couch, Betty started explaining herself. "Look, Archie. With everything that happened, I needed to get away. Being kept in a room under supervision wasn't what I needed. Anyway..." Betty exhaled. "I'm fine now. I'm not suicidal like the beginning of summer, and I'm... dealing with the lawsuit."