SURPRISE!!!

I don’t think we should go public. Keeping this relationship private is important because I don’t want rumors to start spreading and then something happens and the next thing you know we’re fighting and stuff."

Your eyes scanned over the message in confusion. Eyebrows furrowed as you read the message over and over again. Your teeth sunk into your bottom lip and you began to chew on it You hadn’t been pressuring Jack to make your relationship public, so this message confused you a lot. You looked over to your best friend and held the phone out to her. “Should I be worried about this?” you asked Y/BF/N. She took the phone from your hands then read the message too. “I mean all his other relationships had been in the spotlight, so I understand where he’s coming from,” you said, voice tailing off.

“I sense a ‘but’ coming in,”
Y/BF/N smiled, tilting her head to the side with a raise of an eyebrow. She already had a sense of what you were going to say. Having seen what your relationship with Jack Gilinsky was like from the outside, but also hearing you complain about a few road bumps. 

“But it just seems like Jack is hiding our relationship… you know I haven’t even met his friends yet,” you told her. “If he brought this up when we first started dating it wouldn’t be a problem, but we’ve been together for a year now and suddenly he wants to keep everything private.” Before Y/BF/N could even respond your phone buzzed in her hand and she looked at the next message Jack had sent.

So are you cool with that?

“Is he serious?” Y/BF/N bitterly laughed. “Have you told him how you felt?” she asked this time. You rolled your eyes with a shake of your head. Clearly there was something else going on, but you didn’t want to bring it up to her. 

“I’m not fine with this,” you muttered, grabbing the phone so you could call Jack. You didn’t have a problem with being discreet about your relationship, but after a while it made you feel like Jack didn’t want people to know you were together. As if he was ashamed to be with you. 

You sat waiting for Jack to pick up the phone. Each time the dial tone rang you could feel your heart beating faster. Jack was taking awfully long to answer your call when he was quick to send you messages just five seconds ago. Finally he picked up and you let out a long sigh. What you were going to say left your mind as you heard his voice and you found yourself blurting the words before you could even think about them. “You’re ashamed of being with me aren’t you?” you questioned, hand flying up to your mouth in surprise.

“Uh-what?” Jack muttered. You could practically picture him standing in front of you. His eyes would have widened in surprise, ears raised up in confusion. “W-What made you t-think that?” Jack asked.

“Why are you stuttering? It’s a yes or no answer,” you strongly said, “Are you or are you not ashamed of being seen with me?” The line went quiet and you could tell Jack was thinking hard about your question. This only had a negative affect. “You know if you weren’t you wouldn’t have to think so hard on answering.” Broken sentences came from the other line and you could feel the tears spring to your eyes. Don’t jump to conclusions. You thought to yourself. 

“Y/N, it’s complicated,” Jack finally said. 

“That’s not what I asked,” you told him. You imagined Jack’s mouth clamping shut at your words. His hands running furiously through his hair in frustration. “I’m going to make it easier for us both… we should take a break until you figure out what you want.” You didn’t even allow for Jack to speak up about the subject. Ending the call before he could get a word in. 

     It had been exactly one week and Jack was still trying to reach you. You weren’t expecting your conversation to end up like it had did. You never expected a simple message about privacy to ruin a relationship. It hurt to know how Jack really felt about the relationship, but you never gave him a chance to explain himself or tell his side of the story. Finally you were giving him the time of day and Jack was so grateful for it. 

“Surprised you wanted to meet out in public,” you said, pulling your sunglasses off and sitting down on the bench next to Jack. 

“Well you thought I was hiding our relationship from the public. I thought I’d prove you wrong,” he replied. “I’m not ashamed to be with you, Y/N.” Your arms crossed over your chest and you scoffed at his words.

“Could’ve fooled me,” you mumbled, turning in your spot to face him. Jack looked as if he hadn’t been getting any sleep. Hair disheveled, dark circles under his eyes, stubble growing as if he hadn’t shaved in two weeks. 

“What do you mean? Talk to me, Y/N. Really tell me how you feel and then please just hear my side of the story,” he proposed. You nodded in agreement and sucked in a deep breath before getting what was on your chest off.

“I don’t mind that you want to keep our relationship from the limelight. I get that, but the fact that I haven’t met anyone that’s close to you makes me think you want to keep me hidden,” you admitted. Jack’s mouth parted in understanding.

“That’s why you thought I was ashamed of being with you,” he said out loud. You nodded in confirmation. “That’s not it at all, baby.” Jack began to say, “The reason you haven’t met anyone close to me is because I want to make sure this relationship lasts.” Your eyebrows furrowed at his words. Jack grabbed your hand, his thumb brushing over your skin. “The longest I ever been with someone was two years and all my friends adored her. When we broke up they were heartbroken as well, but then I met you and you showed me a different type of love. I don’t want any outside voices dictating and judging our relationship. Sadly those voices also include my friends.” 

“Why didn’t you tell me this?” you asked. 

“I wanted to stay in a bliss filled bubble with you, but if it matters that you meet my friends, then you can meet them. Just don’t pay any mind to them if they say some things that make you question what we have.” Jack whispered, pulling you closer and resting his forehead against yours. All Jack’s actions was making sense to you. Why he kept everything about your relationship private. 

“Okay, see that’s all you had to say. Just don’t give me the cold shoulder when we’re outside together,” you. He nodded in understanding, then pouted at you.

“Can we please go back to the way things were? This time the right way.” You smiled and wrapped your arms around his neck. That was exactly what you wanted. Jack making sure to introduce you to all the important people in his life soon after. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's been forever since I've been on here I just got caught up with school and stuff but a few more months and I finally graduate!!!! So excited!!! Btw hope yall like this story